1st Generation Blue Australorps Hatched in Arizona!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by huppfarm, Sep 13, 2010.

1. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:this color chart may give you more info on what your asking

Blue X Blue = Blues, Blacks and Splashes
    Blue X SBlue X BBlue X Blue = Blues, Blacks and Splashes
    Blue X Splash = Blues and Splashes
    Blue X Black = Blues and Blacks
    Black X Splash = Blues
    Splash X Splash = Splash

1 person likes this.
  2. huppfarm

Quote:this color chart will give you the answer to your question

Black X Splash = Blues
    Splash X Splash = Splash

3. huppfarm

Quote:i started my flock with murry mcmurry australorps back in the early 90's. i then went out a found several prominant breeders and bought breeding stock from them. after 2 years of mixing and matching, on the third year i was winning best of breed, best of variety, grand champion at the fair and reserve grand champion large fowl at the state show in arizona where i competed against 1600 birds.

so really theres nothing wrong with using hatchery birds that follow the SOP.
    culling is key if you are serious about the quality of your flock. i know many of you dont like the cull and that is your option, but breeding substandard birds to create your flock will only ruin any chance of quality birds.

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia

Black X Splash = Blues
    Splash X Splash = Splash

yes i am familiar with blue genetics. what i am trying to understand is how are you getting blue australorps and are they pure or are you adding other blood in. right now i have 3 strains of black australorp and i have no problem with culling to get what i want.

5. huppfarm

great! you will need to breed into either the splash orpington male or female, hatch out blue 50%/50% then breed those blues back into your blacks,
    (try to use your different lines, not the same like father to daughter or mother to son)
    you will get blues and blacks, cull the blacks.

breed the now (1st gens) again into your blacks, to breed out the orpington feather characteristics and body type.

document all you have done and continue breeding your blues to your blacks, always culling the blacks as to not use them for pure black australorp breeding, you could possibly get some throwbacks.

i have not been breeding long enough to create any spash australorps but that will happen down the road. one thing at a time.

i hope that helped, any questions? feel free to ask.

thanks
    chet & berta
    huppfarm

6. huppfarm

Black X Splash = Blues
    Splash X Splash = Splash

yes i am familiar with blue genetics. what i am trying to understand is how are you getting blue australorps and are they pure or are you adding other blood in. right now i have 3 strains of black australorp and i have no problem with culling to get what i want.

yes i am adding in the splash orpnington to black australorp. i made contact with the president of the australian australorp club asking how they were able to obtain the blue australorp which is in thier standard. he was happy to give me the info, so now i am trying to get this started in the united states so we all can enjoy a new variety of bird thats not seen here in the states.

the large blue chickens are loved and wanted here in arizona. i raise the blue orpingtons and i just cant raise enough of them to keep the public from knocking at my door wondering if i have any more for sale. every large blue i put for sale at our county fair last week was sold as soon as i put up my for sale sign.

the blue australorps will be rare for a while, hopefully we can get them approved and have them become popular amongst fanciers.

7. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Umm, Blue Australorps have sprung up all over the place... ohh wait your in the US. Any ways Blue Australorps are not that new, I will get a pic of my Blues and splash's when they fill out.

and they are not Blue Australorps yet, they are just F1 crosses [​IMG]

8. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Chet & Berta,

Could we see some pictures? I know everyone would like to see them. Thanks!

9. huppfarm

Quote:[​IMG]

they are only 1 day old here and there are also black australorps, splash orps and the blue orps.

10. huppfarm

Quote:very true the blue australorps have been already established a few years back by the australians. they already have a stadard and have large australorp shows. check out the australian club site, very nice pics of all the varieties there.

how old are your birds? i look forward to seeing them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by