1st hard wrinkled egg ¡help!

Chick-N-Lover

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2015
California
I was wondering if anyone knows why a hen lays--especially for the first time--a wrinkled hard egg??

I have read of different possibilities but would like some more opinions from people who have experienced this more than just 1 time.

My hen is a standards barred rock hen and has been laying normal eggs up until yesterday. Yesterday she was acting not her usual self. She didn't lay her egg as always which is between 11isham- 1ishpm. And when she did lay her egg--which was around 6ish--she didn't do it in her nest box but rather the ground outside her coup. I have another chicken but she's just a pullet about to start laying and was wondering if she has to do anything with it.
Or if it had to do with my neighbor's dog that scared her. That dog has never been around them till yesterday.
Please help!!

Any stress, especially fear based can cause misshapen eggs, so the dog could be why. Otherwise some illnesses will cause wrinkled eggs. So how is she feeling and acting? If it happens repeatedly you could have a problem, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it occurring occasionally.

Any stress, especially fear based can cause misshapen eggs, so the dog could be why. Otherwise some illnesses will cause wrinkled eggs. So how is she feeling and acting? If it happens repeatedly you could have a problem, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it occurring occasionally.

Today she is feeling better. Acting normal and comes to my calls when I give her her favorite snack--dried cranberries :)

That's good to hear, sometimes when they are startled or scared eggs can come out and you get a soft shelled egg, other times if the egg has been in the shell gland long enough it can get cracked or jostled which will cause wrinkles as it continues to get that shell coating.. Hopefully she stays well for you.

Back
Top Bottom