1st hatch, 55% success - 8% loss in days 16-21

HollysFlock

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
Indiana
Hello all,

I set 20 eggs in an older Hova-Bator Thermal Air Flow incubator that was given to us because it's original owner no longer owns chickens. I'd like to share my experience in the hopes that someone can confirm my suspicions and provide guidance if I am incorrect.

I have a mixed flock of 19 hens and 2 roosters. One rooster is ~39 months, barred rock while the other is ~15 months, barred rock/rhode island red cross. The average age is 24.3 months, ranging from 15 to 39 months. Nearly all eggs appear fertilized when cracked. The chickens primarily free range, but were confined for ~3-4 days prior to being set due to predation. Shell, grit, fresh water, and Nutrina NatureWise Natural Layer feed (16%) are available freely.

Of 20 eggs, 10 hatched without difficulty. After 36 hours, I opened the incubator to remove them and noticed that another had pipped. 24 hours later, it had not yet hatched, but had pipped in another area, so I assisted. There were no further pips. Of our 11 chicks, 1 has an arched foot that splays out to the side and the chick I assisted has a closed eyelid (missing?) and potentially some breathing issues (vs slow transition?). We are carefully monitoring that bird to ensure it does not suffer. With time, it does appear to be doing better.

On egg-topsy, I noted the following:
3 without evidence of development (infertile vs very early loss)
1 loss at 9 days
2 losses at 16 days
1 loss at 18 days (yolk still present external, no pip)
1 loss at 18-21 days (yolk internal, abdomen not fully sealed, no pip)
All those near hatch appeared to be in the proper position and there was no foul odor, off colored fluid noted. I took pictures if that would be helpful to share.

Egg storage: Eggs were mostly 1-2 days old when set and were stored at room temp prior to being set. 3 eggs were closer to 1 week of age.

Candling: I candled at 9 days. 12 were developing well. 2 did not appear to be developing. I could not adequately visualize in the remaining eggs (thick green and brown shells). All eggs were left in the incubator. I did not candle again.

Temp/Humidity: We used a thermometer/hygrometer that we believed to be correct, but it was not fancy nor were we able to calibrate it. Temps was maintained at 100-101 with one increase to 105 on day 2-3. Humidity was 45-55 until day 18, at which point it was increased to ~75%. Eggs were not weighed.

Turning: I turned the eggs three times a day without exception until day 18. Eggs were placed directly on the wire mesh. I placed the small end slightly down, which was noted to be easier as the chicks grew.

Lockdown: The incubator was not opened from the end of day 18 through the end of day 22. When I removed the 10 chicks at that time, I added a hot, wet paper towel and a small amount of water in the bottom troughs. The incubator smelled awful due to hatch debris/stool.

After reviewing the many websites linked here https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101, I have the following plans to maximize success:
*The missing eyeball is likely related to the early temp spike.
*The arched foot might benefit from shelf liner on top of the wire grate.
*I need a better thermometer/hygrometer to better monitor and manage temp/humidity.
*I should set my eggs small side down in an egg carton to maintain position until lockdown.
*I should re-evaluate my flocks nutritional status. I'm not certain what that means given they free-range.
*I should consider weighing my eggs and candling to determine size of air sac.

So, after all that, does anyone have any additional suggestions? I'd like to try to hatch again using my own eggs in a few weeks and want to increase my success. Opening eggs that had quite fully formed, healthy appear chicks that hadn't survived was quite heart-breaking.

Hello all,

I set 20 eggs in an older Hova-Bator Thermal Air Flow incubator that was given to us because it's original owner no longer owns chickens. I'd like to share my experience in the hopes that someone can confirm my suspicions and provide guidance if I am incorrect.

I have a mixed flock of 19 hens and 2 roosters. One rooster is ~39 months, barred rock while the other is ~15 months, barred rock/rhode island red cross. The average age is 24.3 months, ranging from 15 to 39 months. Nearly all eggs appear fertilized when cracked. The chickens primarily free range, but were confined for ~3-4 days prior to being set due to predation. Shell, grit, fresh water, and Nutrina NatureWise Natural Layer feed (16%) are available freely.

Of 20 eggs, 10 hatched without difficulty. After 36 hours, I opened the incubator to remove them and noticed that another had pipped. 24 hours later, it had not yet hatched, but had pipped in another area, so I assisted. There were no further pips. Of our 11 chicks, 1 has an arched foot that splays out to the side and the chick I assisted has a closed eyelid (missing?) and potentially some breathing issues (vs slow transition?). We are carefully monitoring that bird to ensure it does not suffer. With time, it does appear to be doing better.

On egg-topsy, I noted the following:
3 without evidence of development (infertile vs very early loss)
1 loss at 9 days
2 losses at 16 days
1 loss at 18 days (yolk still present external, no pip)
1 loss at 18-21 days (yolk internal, abdomen not fully sealed, no pip)
All those near hatch appeared to be in the proper position and there was no foul odor, off colored fluid noted. I took pictures if that would be helpful to share.

Egg storage: Eggs were mostly 1-2 days old when set and were stored at room temp prior to being set. 3 eggs were closer to 1 week of age.

Candling: I candled at 9 days. 12 were developing well. 2 did not appear to be developing. I could not adequately visualize in the remaining eggs (thick green and brown shells). All eggs were left in the incubator. I did not candle again.

Temp/Humidity: We used a thermometer/hygrometer that we believed to be correct, but it was not fancy nor were we able to calibrate it. Temps was maintained at 100-101 with one increase to 105 on day 2-3. Humidity was 45-55 until day 18, at which point it was increased to ~75%. Eggs were not weighed.

Turning: I turned the eggs three times a day without exception until day 18. Eggs were placed directly on the wire mesh. I placed the small end slightly down, which was noted to be easier as the chicks grew.

Lockdown: The incubator was not opened from the end of day 18 through the end of day 22. When I removed the 10 chicks at that time, I added a hot, wet paper towel and a small amount of water in the bottom troughs. The incubator smelled awful due to hatch debris/stool.

After reviewing the many websites linked here https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101, I have the following plans to maximize success:
*The missing eyeball is likely related to the early temp spike.
*The arched foot might benefit from shelf liner on top of the wire grate.
*I need a better thermometer/hygrometer to better monitor and manage temp/humidity.
*I should set my eggs small side down in an egg carton to maintain position until lockdown.
*I should re-evaluate my flocks nutritional status. I'm not certain what that means given they free-range.
*I should consider weighing my eggs and candling to determine size of air sac.

So, after all that, does anyone have any additional suggestions? I'd like to try to hatch again using my own eggs in a few weeks and want to increase my success. Opening eggs that had quite fully formed, healthy appear chicks that hadn't survived was quite heart-breaking.
goodpost.gif

Great record keeping and a nice job at incubating
jumpy.gif

gander007, thank you so much for your encouragement! I am so grateful for the knowledge and support of the folks here, you do an amazing job of helping us newbies.

The chick with one eye finally opened the other eye for the first time today (4 days old), which is beyond crazy! I thought this little bird was a goner, but she's recovered better than I could have expected. It almost appeared that she just needed more time to finish developing, which makes me question whether or not I should have helped her. It also makes me wonder if I accidentally killed the chicks that appeared so close to hatching upon egg-topsy.

How often do chicks take significantly longer than 22/23 days to hatch?

gander007, thank you so much for your encouragement! I am so grateful for the knowledge and support of the folks here, you do an amazing job of helping us newbies.

The chick with one eye finally opened the other eye for the first time today (4 days old), which is beyond crazy! I thought this little bird was a goner, but she's recovered better than I could have expected. It almost appeared that she just needed more time to finish developing, which makes me question whether or not I should have helped her. It also makes me wonder if I accidentally killed the chicks that appeared so close to hatching upon egg-topsy.

How often do chicks take significantly longer than 22/23 days to hatch?

Oh one thing I have learned is not to go second guessing yourself it will give you knots in you stomach and anything over 24 days is going to have some problems of some type as the temp was to low for to long at some point during incubation so let it go and I do it all the time but when an egg is pulled you had a reason and test prove that your first instinct was correct and the second answer is wrong and nothing worse then going to the brooder and finding one just laying there after you work so hard to save it nature gives but also wants something back and that is the true meaning in life just some creatures have a shorter straw than others .......

Now I purchased this incubator in 1997 and have used it every year ,,, but I did up grade a few things to the left is for humidity well really it is a dehumidifier and to the right a egg thermometer with alarms but I cant hear them as that went before eye sight
lau.gif
and I cant remember what else I have lost with age
gig.gif

Alright inside the incubator the egg in the middle with the T for top measures temp, the other two wires are for the dehumidifier ........
smile.png

Any questions and yes I took these photos today just before noon so they are new photos ..........
thumbsup.gif

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
Thank you again for your reassurance, gander007! Your words are what I often tell my students, but forget to tell myself.

I found the thermometer in your pictures online and will purchase it. Any recommendations for a hygrometer?

Thank you again for your reassurance, gander007! Your words are what I often tell my students, but forget to tell myself.

I found the thermometer in your pictures online and will purchase it. Any recommendations for a hygrometer?

Why thank you @HollysFlock, I purchased both items from e-bay if you would like I can look up the name of the seller for you ......... Now it is really only a dehumidifier but with my eye's going with age I needed something with big numbers and very accurate and this seems to do both for me ......

Back
Top Bottom