1st hatchling has fleshy ball on butt

SweetHeidi

Chirping
May 6, 2021
What is wrong and can I do anything? I've never had this happen before and searching isn't helping. Thx!
20230302_063915.jpg

What is wrong and can I do anything? I've never had this happen before and searching isn't helping. Thx!
View attachment 3419471
I agree, it's just a bit of yolk sac protruding still. Leave him in the incubator and keep the humidity up and it should absorb on its own. You can remove the eggshell and hatching gunk.
If any of his siblings hatch watch closely that they don't peck at it. I'd probably get the brooder heated up and remove any that hatch immediately. Let them dry off in the brooder or another incubator.

Thank you, looks to be correct upon further examination. Phew such a relief. This one couldn't wait to get out of there, hatched earlier than everyone else and was covered in yolk. Very weak but I fed it yolk water and now it is fine. Probably the most eager and friendly hatchling I've ever encountered.

I agree, it's just a bit of yolk sac protruding still. Leave him in the incubator and keep the humidity up and it should absorb on its own. You can remove the eggshell and hatching gunk.
If any of his siblings hatch watch closely that they don't peck at it. I'd probably get the brooder heated up and remove any that hatch immediately. Let them dry off in the brooder or another incubator.
I had to put in a container on its own, the other chicjs were attacking that sac once they fluffed up tonight. I pressed on it lightly and it shrank a tad. I've got olive oil on it.

I had to put in a container on its own, the other chicjs were attacking that sac once they fluffed up tonight. I pressed on it lightly and it shrank a tad. I've got olive oil on it.
Yeah, keep it in a separate brooder until it goes down. I'd personally not put oil on it, because it takes forever to wear off, and the other chicks will pick at it's oil-y bottom after the yolk sac is long gone.
I would just make sure he's warm and eating/drinking and leave him be. That small of a unabsorbed sac usually absorbs just fine on its own.

Back
Top Bottom