1ST Predator--HOORAY!!!

Baymule

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 1, 2010
Northeast Texas
Last night our Great Pyrenees, Paris,
love.gif
tuned up and barked her head off like she usually does. She hates cats and the neighbor feeds all the strays in the neighborhood.
he.gif
They breed like rats and poop everywhere (but NOT in our backyard haha). Then the hens started raising a ruckus
D.gif
which they never do. Paris barking, the girls yelling their heads off, we went to investigate. A HUGE possum was on the wood fence next to the coop, just out of Paris's reach. The hens were upset at this monster being so close and Paris was incensed at the intruder. Our SIL went to the garage for a hoe and poked the possum until it decided to move on. Crisis averted.

My DH asked if the possum could get to the chickens and SIL answered, "that's the most sturdy, well built coop I've ever seen. Most of them are thrown together, but I don't think anything could get in that one."
ya.gif

I beamed and said that I studied BYC's predator forum for 3 months before building the coop and I learned what to do and what not to do. We live in the middle of a small town, just blocks from City Hall. I know many of the BYC'ers have bigger predator problems, bears, bobcats, hawks and snakes-Oh My! But in our little town a possum is a big deal--and the best part?????? He can't get into the coop!! (Even if Paris wasn't on guard to rip him to pieces-LOL)

Thanks BYC and the BYC'ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Good for you Baymule! Poked him with a hoe, that kills me.
gig.gif
I'm surprised Paris' barking didn't scare the possum back to where he came from, but I don't know much about possums, maybe he was smart enough to realize when he was out of reach. Great outcome!

There are quite a few possums here right downtown in our little town. Have also seen raccoons, hawks, snakes (but not many) and that's about it for predators.

Back
Top Bottom