1st processed bird

boilerjoe_96

Songster
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
West Lafayette, IN
I hope i can figure out how to post a picture...

About 40 minutes from water to plate.(not including hanging time... Not too bad. I have processed a lot of animals so I just plyaed it by ear. This bird would have been 5 weeks tomorrow. just wanted to see how things would go and cut down on the poop cleaning.

here goes on the picture....

procchick1tu3.jpg

procchick2zm8.jpg

Oh yeah I will get a small scale tomorrow and weigh and report back....

Also... got a splatter lesson during the hatchet phase of the operation. Tried to wrap chicken in chicken wire. Those little buggers are strong, of course I held on to the feet and got splattered head to toe... (mental note, try something different next time). I do like the hatchet method as it was one clean hit....

Last edited:
When I processed one of my roos last year, due to aggression issues. A farmer told me the best way was either the cone trick, or the sack trick. I used an old laundry bag, that ties at the end. I took one corner, and cut a hole big enough to fit the birds head through. Once the bird was in the sack, I tied the bottom. The bird didnt move a muscle while in the sack, I just layed the bird down on a sheet of plywood, and the rest was history. I used a hatchet, to do the deed. It was very easy. No muss no fuss!

Your bird looks very nice! Job well done!

Thanks Critter...

I have some burlap bags. I will try the bag thing. Thanks again. I tried to wrap the bird in chicken wire but the thrashing of the wings and the bird fell out. I still had a hold of his feet(thus the splattering I got).

Quote:
It took me by suprise that the bird just layed there in the bad, didnt move a muscle! I definitely thanked the farmer for the great advice! He he he he! made things so easy!

That is wild! I can't believe a 5 week bird looks like that. They look much smaller running around I guess.
We are so attched to our 12 new babies here (4 weeks old now)- doesn't look like any of that will be happening anytime soon. But I am definatlly going to have to get me some more just for cookin'.
big_smile.png

CGRN.. remember this was a cornish cross. They grow amazingly fast. I have some ISA-Browns the same age and less meat on them than a quail. They might be a pound.... I am going to let the others grow a little more so I have about 4lb(dressed) birds. I hope another week to ten days. I may let a couple get 6 or 7(dressed) just to try it.

Back
Top Bottom