1st processed bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by boilerjoe_96, May 27, 2007.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    I hope i can figure out how to post a picture...

About 40 minutes from water to plate.(not including hanging time... Not too bad. I have processed a lot of animals so I just plyaed it by ear. This bird would have been 5 weeks tomorrow. just wanted to see how things would go and cut down on the poop cleaning.

here goes on the picture....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah I will get a small scale tomorrow and weigh and report back....

Also... got a splatter lesson during the hatchet phase of the operation. Tried to wrap chicken in chicken wire. Those little buggers are strong, of course I held on to the feet and got splattered head to toe... (mental note, try something different next time). I do like the hatchet method as it was one clean hit....

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

check out "killing cones" I've heard they cut down on the splatter. No chickens running around with head cut of jokes.

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    When I processed one of my roos last year, due to aggression issues. A farmer told me the best way was either the cone trick, or the sack trick. I used an old laundry bag, that ties at the end. I took one corner, and cut a hole big enough to fit the birds head through. Once the bird was in the sack, I tied the bottom. The bird didnt move a muscle while in the sack, I just layed the bird down on a sheet of plywood, and the rest was history. I used a hatchet, to do the deed. It was very easy. No muss no fuss!

Your bird looks very nice! Job well done!

4. boilerjoe_96

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Thanks Critter...

I have some burlap bags. I will try the bag thing. Thanks again. I tried to wrap the bird in chicken wire but the thrashing of the wings and the bird fell out. I still had a hold of his feet(thus the splattering I got).

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:It took me by suprise that the bird just layed there in the bad, didnt move a muscle! I definitely thanked the farmer for the great advice! He he he he! made things so easy!

6. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    That looks like one yummy chicken! [​IMG]

7. boilerjoe_96

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    2lbs 12 oz.....

8. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Looks good! [​IMG]
    Wish we could have done that to the one of ours that up and died yesterday. [​IMG] If we had only known.

9. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    That is wild! I can't believe a 5 week bird looks like that. They look much smaller running around I guess.
    We are so attched to our 12 new babies here (4 weeks old now)- doesn't look like any of that will be happening anytime soon. But I am definatlly going to have to get me some more just for cookin'.[​IMG]

10. boilerjoe_96

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    CGRN.. remember this was a cornish cross. They grow amazingly fast. I have some ISA-Browns the same age and less meat on them than a quail. They might be a pound.... I am going to let the others grow a little more so I have about 4lb(dressed) birds. I hope another week to ten days. I may let a couple get 6 or 7(dressed) just to try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by