1st time duck mom

SRagno

Chirping
Nov 10, 2020
I have an 8 month old Buff duck mom currently sitting on four viable eggs either hers or the Khaki Campbell's. I'm trying to let her raise the ducklings on her own (no brooder). I'm worried with the cooler weather that we're having here in south Mississippi as to whether or not I need to provide any heat for the ducklings or will Mama duck to the job. Her best is in a dog house with shavings. Will they be warm enough?

I have an 8 month old Buff duck mom currently sitting on four viable eggs either hers or the Khaki Campbell's. I'm trying to let her raise the ducklings on her own (no brooder). I'm worried with the cooler weather that we're having here in south Mississippi as to whether or not I need to provide any heat for the ducklings or will Mama duck to the job. Her best is in a dog house with shavings. Will they be warm enough?
What's the temperature where you live? Mama ducks can definitely brood their ducklings. Mama hens have done so in cooler temps as well. They acclimate pretty well. Buff ducks are usually good brooders from what I've read. I would just be ready to brood in a brooder just in case.

I've had several mamas hatch out ducklings naturally, but the coldest it ever was when this was happening was about 40F outside at night. If it was much closer to/below freezing, I'd probably take them up and into a brooder soon after they hatched just to limit the chance of any casualties. I'd be more worried about her being a first time mom than the temperature, though. I've seen some shocking displays of neglect among first time duck moms.

OK. I'm in D'Iberville, MS. Lately is been in the 50's but moving into the 40's at night and up into the 60 to low 70's during the gloomy days. I was thinking of putting a warming pad in their "dog house turned duck house", where she built her nest. Or should I put a light in there? I didn't want it to be too warm for Molly girl to brood her babies. I'm candled them last night. I believe we have about 5 days to a week at most before they get here. (so excited!!🙃🤗🥰) From my original 6 I'm down to four and last night I believe we might be down one more so that would make her with three viable babies...hard to tell being a first time candler.🤔😏 Thank you for ya'lls input.

OK. I'm in D'Iberville, MS. Lately is been in the 50's but moving into the 40's at night and up into the 60 to low 70's during the gloomy days. I was thinking of putting a warming pad in their "dog house turned duck house", where she built her nest. Or should I put a light in there? I didn't want it to be too warm for Molly girl to brood her babies. I'm candled them last night. I believe we have about 5 days to a week at most before they get here. (so excited!!🙃🤗🥰) From my original 6 I'm down to four and last night I believe we might be down one more so that would make her with three viable babies...hard to tell being a first time candler.🤔😏 Thank you for ya'lls input.
That should be warm enough without a heating pad. 😊

Back
Top Bottom