1st time duck momma, many questions

Cassiblu

Chirping
May 24, 2021
Hi y’all. This will be a long read, please bare with me. I have googled info about Muscovy ducklings many times, but there are such different opinions and advice that I’m not sure what’s right or wrong. I came for advice from y’all instead. Yes I know I should have come here first, I’m sorry. 😞 So this is what’s going on… My granddaughter and I have 2 muscovy ducklings in our care since they were only a day old. Duckling 🐥🐥 She named them Feather and Pip. I researched basic duckling care. I didn’t use a heat lamp because we keep them in our garage where there is no AC and stays extremely warm. They live in a plastic storage container with extra large pine shavings that I changed every 3-4 days. I started with small poultry feeders for water and food and give unmedicated starter feed that I add niacin into and let them eat all day, as much as they want as well as giving fresh clean water. This worked fine till recently. They are getting so big! Because of their size difference, we think we have a male and female. Now I find myself having to fully empty, wash, dry and refill the bin every single day because a few days ago they started to dump the entire water feeder which causes the bin of pine shavings to become soaked. Well when I changed it out, there were a few gnat things flying around and to my disgusted surprise, also larvae crawling in it. I feared they could get sick so now I’m fully changing daily. Also because of this issue, they were stinky from sitting in the wet buggy mess 🤢 so they got their first “bath” and swim lesson. They were nervous and mostly just drank and pooped lol. I kept the water luke warm and we carefully dried them off afterwards. Then she snuggled with them till they were fully dry. The 2nd day they actually dipped under water and pruned themselves, then started to swim! (It was amazing to watch) 🥰 Yesterday morning they learned how to get out of the bin, twice! They pooped all over the place and they can’t get back in to have access to the water or food. Now I have a small screen over the top. So far so good. 🙂 They seem healthy and happy but we need some help. A few of my main questions are… what age do they no longer need the niacin supplement? How do I keep their bedding dry when they need constant access to fresh water? When can they be moved to an outdoor enclosure? (I live in Florida) and is there such thing as an inexpensive enclosure or coop?? We only have 2 ducklings but I can’t find anything under $300. ☹️ Currently if they are too young to go outside, my plan is to use a baby playpen (floorless kind) lined with a trash bag under the shavings. The sides are taller so they won’t escape lol. This also gives much more room then the storage bin so they can get away from the soaked shavings till I change it, and should make for easy clean up 😜 ALL advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts! 💕 D6FCB249-0636-4AD6-A6EC-2CE60EF3C061.jpeg 36F88A8F-2575-4A42-84CA-7BC6E0B6CC4F.jpeg

Their so adorable! Goodness. Im not amazing with ducks, mostly chickens, but ill try with what i know!

First off, i know this isnt a related question, but manna pro has awesome feed if you decide to use that , just a thought! :)

what age do they no longer need the niacin supplement? Past 10 its rarely needed. Its typically just 2-7 weeks of age! ) How do I keep their bedding dry when they need constant access to fresh water? Maybe try a small tire? Im not sure! This is just a thought. Also you will always have to constantly change it, i dont recommend giving them water at night night. Like if your up at 1:00 am, take the water out, when you wake up, istantly replace it! Dont do this at like 8:00, thats to early. also try adding some straw to prevent to much wetness. (When can they be moved to an outdoor enclosure? I find that week 6 is a good move time, but you can do it a bit earlier *NOTE, if its earlier, youll have to constantly look out for predators, weather, i recommend getting a thermometer* i think 8 is a great time if you can hold out though! (I live in Florida) and is there such thing as an inexpensive enclosure or coop?? I cant really awnsee that, keep looking though and im sure youll find one! Ill let you know if i do.

Sorry I can't answer your questions but I just had to reply to say they are just so cute. I love the pic of them swimming!

Oh one thing, if you haven't already, is to check Craigslist for playhouses, dog kennels or even chicken coops that you could make into duck coop. I had one listing in my area giving away for free one of those $300-$400 chicken coops you see at Tractor Supply. It was only 1 yr old & had couple dings & dents. Just had to dismantle it & haul away. I was really temped but it was pretty far away & at the time we were having heat wave with temps close to 100 degrees. I would have had heat stroke trying to dismantle it in that heat.

Their so adorable! Goodness. Im not amazing with ducks, mostly chickens, but ill try with what i know!

First off, i know this isnt a related question, but manna pro has awesome feed if you decide to use that , just a thought! :)

what age do they no longer need the niacin supplement? Past 10 its rarely needed. Its typically just 2-7 weeks of age! ) How do I keep their bedding dry when they need constant access to fresh water? Maybe try a small tire? Im not sure! This is just a thought. Also you will always have to constantly change it, i dont recommend giving them water at night night. Like if your up at 1:00 am, take the water out, when you wake up, istantly replace it! Dont do this at like 8:00, thats to early. also try adding some straw to prevent to much wetness. (When can they be moved to an outdoor enclosure? I find that week 6 is a good move time, but you can do it a bit earlier *NOTE, if its earlier, youll have to constantly look out for predators, weather, i recommend getting a thermometer* i think 8 is a great time if you can hold out though! (I live in Florida) and is there such thing as an inexpensive enclosure or coop?? I cant really awnsee that, keep looking though and im sure youll find one! Ill let you know if i do.
Wow thank you so much for answering all my questions 😊 I have a lot to learn, but we are very excited to watch Feather and Pip explore and grow with our family.

Sorry I can't answer your questions but I just had to reply to say they are just so cute. I love the pic of them swimming!

Oh one thing, if you haven't already, is to check Craigslist for playhouses, dog kennels or even chicken coops that you could make into duck coop. I had one listing in my area giving away for free one of those $300-$400 chicken coops you see at Tractor Supply. It was only 1 yr old & had couple dings & dents. Just had to dismantle it & haul away. I was really temped but it was pretty far away & at the time we were having heat wave with temps close to 100 degrees. I would have had heat stroke trying to dismantle it in that heat.I did peek at dog kennels and chicken coops. Even checked outdoor rabbit hutches but no luck finding what we need for under $300.. I never thought to check craigslist. I’ll try there! Thank you 😁

Just get a kiddie pool for them. It’ll work when they’re big enough for outside
I actually have a kiddie pool, but still need an enclosure for safety. We have hawks, coyote and snakes often and I don’t even know what else would try to eat them ☹️

Niacin- Do you know the niacin content of their feed? All ducks need niacin, but how much depends on age. If your feed has under the recommended amount for ducklings I would supplement with extra niacin until full grown. If it has the correct amount you wouldn't need to supplement unless you saw signs of a deficiency.

Keeping the brooder dry- I buy the cooling racks that come with the baking sheet and set their water on it for ducklings. You want the kind with the mesh cross hatch that's at least 1/2" square or smaller. Do you have a picture of their waterer? I have found that an old milk or water jug with holes cut just big enough for them to get their heads in and out work great as waters. The water stays cleaner too and it's harder for them to tip them.
100681547255005p.jpeg

Being moved outside- That depends on your daytime/evening temperatures and if you have the ability to run electric (even just an extension cord) to supplement heat if needed. Generally ducklings need to be kept at 90-95 degrees (I start them out at around 90) for the first week and then you bring it down around 5 degrees every week from there. So take their age in weeks, multiply by 5 and then subtract that from 90. It doesn't have to be exact temperatures, but it gives you a good estimate. If your outside temperatures maintain around the number you get you don't need to supplement with heat, but if outside is colder then you will need to have a heat source.

Coops- Check craigslist for coops. Anything pre-fab is garbage. On my local craigslist there are coops all of the time for cheap. Even people selling whole sheds in your price range.

At this age, I wouldn't rule out 2 of the same sex just yet.
However, I had a large kiddie pool set up for 4 ducks and then took fencing around it to keep them in. When they figured out how to jump through that, I secured cardboard around the outer bottom 3rd.
Muscovy are very agile. :D
I kept water on top of a cookie sheet and also used containers with lids with just enough room for them to stick their heads in.
Enjoy them as they do grow fast and their antics are amusing. :love
Oh, and I revamped a playhouse for the ducks housing.

Back
Top Bottom