1st time hatching chicks....pullet???

Mom-ma B

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2021
I am very new at sexing chicks at all, I have gone through my 17 chicks and marked the ones I'm guessing are cockerals. However, this 1 chick is having me still on the fence. I labeled it as a girl by wing, but I'm not very positive at all. Could be a week old today, sat or sun as my eggs hatched over 3 different days and almost all of them are black.

They are back yard crosses
Dads: black Australorp or Buff orphington
Moms: easter egger or silver laced wyandotte

I'm 90% certain the mom is 1 of my Easter Eggers because of the puffiness around the beak like they were when they were little.

See photo of wing feathers........ thanks
Male??? Female???

Attachments

• 20210305_131425.jpg
    20210305_131425.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210305_131421.jpg
    20210305_131421.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 13
I suggest you mark that one separately and keep track, so you can learn for later. I don't know what it is.

In a few weeks or months, when all the genders become much more obvious, you will be able to tell how well you did.

If you're trying to sex the chicks by fast vs. slow feathering, it does not work unless you crossed the correct parents: fast feathering father, slow feathering mother, to produce fast feathering daughters and slow feathering sons. (The daughters get their father's traits, the sons show the trait their mothers had while also carrying the gene for what their father had.)

I suggest you mark that one separately and keep track, so you can learn for later. I don't know what it is.

In a few weeks or months, when all the genders become much more obvious, you will be able to tell how well you did.

If you're trying to sex the chicks by fast vs. slow feathering, it does not work unless you crossed the correct parents: fast feathering father, slow feathering mother, to produce fast feathering daughters and slow feathering sons. (The daughters get their father's traits, the sons show the trait their mothers had while also carrying the gene for what their father had.)
I am not 100% certain I marked any pic then right, lol. But I used a twisty tie. All blue ABC's greens equal ones I think are males. I marked this one in question with a yellow twist tie to see what happens. Once they are around 2 weeks old I have the plastic ones that go on the legs to keep track.
It's a HUGE learning curve. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom