1st time hatching ducks and I need help!

beccapenny

In the Brooder
May 3, 2015
Texas
This is my 1st time hatching. He pipped a small home last night but its been 24 hours since he started. I helped and made the home alil bigger so he could breath but the membrane is turning tan. He has been trying all morning to break through more. I'm afraid he won't make it. What doi do?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm more a chicken person when it comes to incubating but I do know ducks really can take a long time to hatch. If your duckling has air it should be ok for now. As to your membrane turning tan have you got your humidity high? You need it as high as you can get it. The more surface area of water the better. Please do drop by the duck section for more help. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with your hatch. Enjoy BYC :frow

welcome-byc.gif

Glad you joined us!

Good luck with your hatch!

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I've never hatched eggs before, so I'm little help there. but I still wanted to welcome you!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have never hatched ducks myself but I know with other poultry, they will pip, (poke a hole through the shell) to breath and will sit like this for 24+ hours. They don't need help out at this time. They are busy absorbing the last of the yolk and detaching from the inside of the egg shell. If you break him out now, he can bleed to death. So just let him be. Don't open his air hole either. He could lose too much moisture.

Definitely post in our ducks section for more help. Yorkshire coop has left you with the link.

Good luck with your hatch and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to Backyard chickens, if you have more ducks concerns you can head for the duck threads at "Other Backyard Poultry," forum above. Sending good hatching vibes your way
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom