1st time hatching eggs. Need advice. Please.

Skyleen13

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
About 10 days ago my broody hen suddenly decided to abandon the nest & all the eggs she’d been tending. I was ready for that & had an incubator ready just in case. I cfandled them & found 4 of the 6 eggs alive. 2 had died. I read all the posts & threads on this site to see what I would need for hatching these babies. My temp was a little low on the incubator but otherwise worked great. I’ve successfully hatched 2 of the babies. However, the remaining 2 eggs haven’t. No pips from either. One of the 2 got rolled around by one of the new hatchlings a bunch before we moved it away. The other I think may have died. I’m worried that I lost both of those babies. How can I tell if their ok & just a little behind?
Also, both my hatchlings are super wobbly on their feet. Is that normal?

Attachments

• FA894C74-5F8E-4E1F-A0C5-E8DE88301947.jpeg
    FA894C74-5F8E-4E1F-A0C5-E8DE88301947.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 6
I think wobbly at hatch is pretty normal. You should see some indication of movement on the others when candling, even if it is just a twitch. Do you know if all the eggs have the same hatch/lay date? They might just not be ready yet. Make sure to keep the humidity up.

How long ago did the others hatch? Sometimes, they can be a day or so behind if your Temps were cooler.
They'll be a little wobbly, they've never walked before.
The first 2 hatched yesterday. Both hatched on day 23. My hen just gathered up eggs & hid them away from me so she could try hatching them. I found them about day 7 after she started. I candles them & all of them seemed to be at the day 7 mark according to the picture guilds. She stayed on them for another 4-5 days then gave up. I got them into the incubator as fast as I could.

I think wobbly at hatch is pretty normal. You should see some indication of movement on the others when candling, even if it is just a twitch. Do you know if all the eggs have the same hatch/lay date? They might just not be ready yet. Make sure to keep the humidity up.
No I don’t. Unfortunately. The 2 little ones that are out are eating & drinking just fine. Both have pooped & look great. They’ve got some loud peeps!

Back
Top Bottom