1st time raising chickens

1st Coop Hen

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Hi everyone,

I was a wee little girl the last time I owned chickens with my dad.

My husband and I just bought a house with a barn and pastures. We are going to start a hobby farm. My husband was raised on a dairy farm in Central New York. So I have a huge helper that knows a lot. However, he has given me the chickens and said have at it lol.

We went yesterday and I picked out 2 pullets, 1 Red Star and 1 Black Star. 1 Rhode Island Red hen that he said has been laying for a month or so. And a rooster that I don't recall the name, I think it was Silky something or other, he has hair not feathers. The seller said he just started crowing a week or so ago, placing him around 10-12 weeks I guess from what I have read.

I'm so excited to learn more about my new feathered/hairy creatures <3

Thanks,
1st Coop Hen

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

images

Welcome to BYC! Yes, those Silkies have a coat of what does look like hair!
lol.png
They sure are cute. But they do need a bath once in a while, as they do get their feathers quite dirty.

Good luck with your new lifestyle and it is great to have you aboard!

welcome-byc.gif
Silkies are very popular. There are several silkie threads on BYC put "Silkie Thread," in the search box and they should pop up. There is even on grooming and bathing silkies for show. Apparently a lot of birds like being blown dried gently and get to liking a bath as well.

Thank you everyone for the welcomes!

Not so sure I ever thought I would have to bathe the Silky. Good thing he's the husband's rooster lol

Our Rhode Island Red layed her first egg for us 2 days ago. Thing was huge, not a double but it was big. Then I retrieved her second one this morning. I checked yesterday before they roosted but there was nothing. But it was there when I went out this morning. I think I'm ready for more laying hens. Having only one layer is getting boring lol

Back
Top Bottom