1st time using egg carton method and I've got pips!

Well, so far so good - 21 out of 35 have hatched with still more pips coming. On day 22 today. Here's a pic of two of the cuties!!

DSC03517.jpg

Yes I was wondering the same thing myself. I am going to try this method of hatching! I have been very intrested, and people are having such good luck, that I want to try next spring!
ya.gif

Oops...sorry!!! Up to 27 this morning - 3 were starting when I went to bed around midnight and when I got up there were two little bonuses!!! 9 eggs left but I'm not hopeful. DBF is on his way over to my house now to check on them since I won't be home until around 6.

Am very pleased with this hatch though - very clean and all the chicks are perfect and healthy.

OH - and I had another surprise last night! One of my 8 week old button quails layed her first egg!

Too much excitement for one day. And the jumbo coturnix quail eggs from SamG will be here Wednesday. I'm insane.

I would take each of the eggs out of the bator one by one and hold them up to my ear. Even give them a little tap...if there is a live chick, they sometimes need that little tap to wake up. Also, candle them and see if you see any movement. You might be surprised....
smile.png

I'll do that when I get home for sure. There was nothing happening when he got there. I know they had live chicks in them; candled at day 18.

And yes, I'm mathematically challenged and nobody caught it...27 + 9 does not = 35 eggs...so I either have 26 chicks or 8 eggs left LOL.

NOW we officially have 27 LOL - there was one late bloomer when I got home and I did count wrong. There's 8 eggs left, only one had pipped but it was low in the egg carton and dried. I put some water on it to soften it up and we'll wait and see. I also tapped on each egg but didn't hear anything. I just went down to check and I thought
fl.gif
I heard some chipping, but I moved the eggs to the front of the carton and now I can't see the pip! Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom