1st timer - Set eggs under broody today - Need hatching buddy!

PacsMan

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Salt Lake Valley
I also have a few questions.

"Midnight" our only black australorp, now has 13 buff orpington eggs under her.

I built out an extra 4x3 part of the coop for her, but she would have nothing to do with the eggs and a new nest box. So back in the old nest box she went. Then I chicken-wired off part of the coop so the others don't bother her, and she sat on them fine.

I'm ~hopeing~ they'll do ok.
fl.gif

Question. I ordered a dozen ("plus extras") and 13 eggs came just fine. Midnight doesn't seem to be able to keep all 13 under her at once. If I put the last couple in front of her, she pushes them under her, but then one or two slides out of the other end. Should I take away a couple of eggs?

Marty

I am very new to all this but I did have some hens hatch out chicks this summer and I worried about the same thing but 3/4 of the eggs hatched fine although it was over 100 degrees outside while they were incubating. There always a few eggs poking out from under the hens.

She really only needs what she can comfortably cover. Otherwise, several may not hatch or she may break some which could potentially contaminate some of the others. I would put some in the incubator and slip them back under her a day or two before hatching. Maybe that would give you an overall better chance of success.

I would take a couple away so she can cover the ones she has. I just moved ANOTHER broody Silkie out of the Silkie pen and into the broody area (aka my carport).

I ~think~ I'm going to leave them all there and see what happens.

How often do I need to move her and check the eggs, or do I just leave her alone?

What do I look for (other than broken eggs) if I do check?

I found my crazy Ameraucana with a nest of 15 eggs out in the grass...I switched them out with 11 fertile eggs. Bought 12 but the 12th one had a crack in it, so didnt set that one...Its funny because outside she can sit on that many, but when I had put her in a rabbit cage earlier this summer, she could barely cover 3....I guess her "natural" nest she made herself is better then anything I could provide to her....I guess you could have as many as she can comfortably cover.

Back
Top Bottom