1st wk in coop, how to get them in at night?

Rowdy5150

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Oregon coast
My 10 wk old chicks just moved into their coop outside this week and I only left them inside for 2 days before letting them out into their covered run area.
Well now everytime I try getting them back in at night, they all run out of the coop, so I can't close the door that connects the inside to outside area to get them back in. It's probably set up weird, but I have to be in the coop to close the door to the outside off.
Is there something I am doing wrong, any tricks? And why are they so darn scared of me????

Here are some pics to better show what I am talking about.
56356_inside_coop.jpg

56356_chicks_in_run.jpg

On my new coop, I made a door that slides up and down. On top of the door on the inside, I fastened a 2x2 to the top and put a screw-eye in the middle. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole and put a plastic (should have used metal) gromet in the hole and fed a few foot piece of braided wire (1/8" thick) through it. On one end of the wire, i fastened it to the screw eye and on the other end, made a loop with small U-bolt. When I need to open the door to the run, I pull the wire and fasten the outside loop to a screw on the side to hold it open. When the birds are inside, I just remove the loop from the screw which will drop the door down. Just make sure inside the coop, you have guides that are loose to hold the door in place but make it slide easy up and down.

Helloooooo fellow Oregonian, your chicks look verry healthy and happy.....can't wait to get mine out. The run isn't quite ready yet. I love to see grass in the run.
Peggy from Oregon City.

p.s. they've been filming movies her at my old high school that was built back in the 30's I think...One is called "Leverage" I don't know what the one they just finished is called.
They just take over the neighborhood...

Try sprinkling some cracked corn or another "treat" inside before you want them in - lure them in and shut the door - Quick! They will learn that evenings they get treats and will go in willingly after a week or so. Good luck!

they should go in when the sun go's down. you could hang a light inside and turn it on just before the sun goes down, they'll follow the light when it starts getting dark. after a few days they'll know the drill and you wont need the light but you'll still have to wait until its dark. scared part is just young and it look's like hybrid layers (red ones) (they're a little flighty) (little white one looks like a leghorn, they can be spazes until they know you)) . they'll calm down and be waiting for you to feed them once they get used to there new friend.

Change the door so you can close/slide from outside...in the meantime lean a board against the opening from outside (so they can't escape while you go inside to shut them in).

Can you put a light inside? Usually they stay outside when young because it gets dark in the coop at dusk while a bit of daylight still remains outside. But if there's a light inside, they will come in at dusk/dark approaches because the indoor light draws them.

Our light is on a timer so that it comes on about an hour before dark and goes out later in the evening after we've been out to lock-up for overnight safety.

Quote:
I have a heat lamp I turn on at night for them. I think I've been trying to get them in too early though, before it is dark enough. Lately it hasn't been getting dark until 8pm or later.

I have the same problem as you. My 19 chicks are outside now and they love being in their run. At night, i want them in the make-shift coop (a wire dog crate with a roof and plywood walls) to stay safe. They insist on huddling up in a corner of the run and won't go into the coop at night. I wait until dusk or after dark when they're sleepy, pick them up and put them into the coop. They've gotten used to me doing that for the past week and now all I have to do is push them gently with my hands and they walk into the coop. They're getting better at it, but still insist on bedding down in the corner of their run. I know eventually they will go in on their own. They're still young enough now that they're sleeping on the ground and not on a roosting pole.

Back
Top Bottom