1x3 roosting bar -4 feet long will support 30 pounds ?

MAX817

Songster
9 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Hello

I am trying to put new roosting bar and I already have 1x3 scrap lumber laying around.

I have 5 chickens and they are 2 groups.

First group -3
Second group-2

I have them less that a month. New two chickens have been with me only a week.

So as of right now, they don’t roost in one but in case they do in the future, will it home 30 pounds??

I would rather recycle than buy new wood if this is sufficient.

There will be no middle support.

Thank you

Need more info

Wood type? Hardwood will support more weight than softwood. A clear straight board is stronger than one with knots. Rough cut lumber (true to size) or finished lumber (actually smaller)

Still not sure I would trust a 1x3 for that much over 4 feet. If it's finished lumber the real measurement is only 3/4 x 2 1/2 inches.

Good question. I think it is
Need more info

Wood type? Hardwood will support more weight than softwood. A clear straight board is stronger than one with knots. Rough cut lumber (true to size) or finished lumber (actually smaller)

Still not sure I would trust a 1x3 for that much over 4 feet. If it's finished lumber the real measurement is only 3/4 x 2 1/2 inches.
Yes, you are correct on size. It is only 2 and 1/2 feet wide but still wider than my current roosting bar I am replacing which is round. Maybe just little over an inch.

5 chickens with the "recommended" roost space of 10 inches for full size birds needs to be 50 inches long. Personally I like giving mine 12 inches of personal space per bird. If you have bantams or silkies you will be fine with down to 8 inches I think per bird.

5 chickens with the "recommended" roost space of 10 inches for full size birds needs to be 50 inches long. Personally I like giving mine 12 inches of personal space per bird. If you have bantams or silkies you will be fine with down to 8 inches I think per bird.
I actually have 2 of 4 feet long roosting bars and 1 of 2 feet long roosting bar but I found couple of them sleeping in the nesting boxes so I wanted to raise 1 of 4 feet roosting bar little higher than nesting box to see if that will solve the problem.

Like I said I have not seen all 5 roosting in one bar. Usually 2-3 in one roosting bar or 3-2 in the nesting boxes.

Yes, you are correct on size. It is only 2 and 1/2 feet wide but still wider than my current roosting bar I am replacing which is round. Maybe just little over an inch.
Can you leave the round bar where it is and lay the 1x3 over it? The round bar would add a lot of support. Maybe add a couple of blocks beside each end to keep it from rolling.

I'm pretty sure the 1x3 will warp over time, at least, if it is put in wide side up...as it should be.

Hello

I am trying to put new roosting bar and I already have 1x3 scrap lumber laying around.

I have 5 chickens and they are 2 groups.

First group -3
Second group-2

I have them less that a month. New two chickens have been with me only a week.

So as of right now, they don’t roost in one but in case they do in the future, will it home 30 pounds??

I would rather recycle than buy new wood if this is sufficient.

There will be no middle support.

Thank you

Screw the 1x3 scraps together to make one bar. Obviously you'll need nice short screws that won't poke through the other side - I would at least double, if not triple it. You can use pieces of different sizes together, just make sure you stagger the joints, i.e. don't have them all line up to create one weak spot.

No, always, no matter what 'thing', figure in DOUBLE the weight you want it to support.
Also 1x3 are usually used for strapping......not a strong wood at all.

If you have enough, why not put 2 of those 1x3's together, Still must give it a center support, and put it so it is 2" wide for their feet and the 3" tall layout if it is 3' across. Or you can do the 3" for their feet WITH a center support.

That is my guess for 0500 and 1/4 cup of coffee in me :D

Just read the post above mine.... I would use WOOD GLUE and good glue and a few short screws as said. But I would not use scraps all put together. Use 1 piece on each side. IMO all those seems weaken the length.

BTW I'm 100% on board (lol) with using scraps, I do it myself on many things, including my coop.... see MY COOP page and you will see. Even now with this group my temp coop for this year was a mash of extra stuff laying around.

Here is what mine is right now- pic form my security camera from last week.... plastic shelving is the black and there is scrap roof sheathing on top. Then pallet part it the roost with supports under it. They are screwed into the wood at an angle so they don't flop over. Is it pretty, no but it is temp for this year as I will be buying a house elsewhere. Bucket on the Left is 'auto feeder' and there is a brace on the wall that supports the wood it's sitting on otherwise it wouldn't have been strong enough to support the 50# of feed in the bucket ;) Oh and there are all my Free Loaders about to get up there for bedtime. Width of structure is just shy of 7'
IMG_20220116_054931164[1].jpg

Last edited:
Oh. If you have more than one piece, make an I-beam. This is the strongest shape for the weight. It is much stronger than doubling by connecting them to each other parallel to each other.

The notch isn't necessary. It adds strength and stiffness but a butt joint will be strong enough for your purpose.

The lower horizontal part probably isn't necessary either (so it might be a T-beam? I'm not sure that is a term)

Use screws, not nails. Sink the screws a little. Maybe dab a bit of wood filler in on top of the screw head and sand it even.

Attachments

• 1642335497016.jpeg
    1642335497016.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom