1x3 roosting bar -4 feet long will support 30 pounds ?

Oh. If you have more than one piece, make an I-beam. This is the strongest shape for the weight. It is much stronger than doubling by connecting them to each other parallel to each other.

Just what I was going to suggest.

I'm sure a 1x3 wide side up would soon bow, but an I-beam or a box-beam would be much sturdier.

MAX817 said:
1x3 roosting bar -4 feet long will support 30 pounds ?

You can test it:
Put that piece of wood across two supports (chairs, concrete blocks, anything handy)
Then put weight on it and leave it for a while.

Gallon jugs full of water would weigh about 8 pounds each, so 4 would make 32 pounds and 5 would make 40 pounds. Most gallon jugs have a handle, so you could tie rope through the handle & around the board. If you hang all the weight in the middle, it will be most likely to bend or break, so that's probably the best way to test it.

I actually have 2 of 4 feet long roosting bars and 1 of 2 feet long roosting bar but I found couple of them sleeping in the nesting boxes so I wanted to raise 1 of 4 feet roosting bar little higher than nesting box to see if that will solve the problem.

Like I said I have not seen all 5 roosting in one bar. Usually 2-3 in one roosting bar or 3-2 in the nesting boxes.
Just what I was going to suggest.

I'm sure a 1x3 wide side up would soon bow, but an I-beam or a box-beam would be much sturdier.
Yes. I push it down I don’t know how much I am pressing but it did bend.

So I just bought 2x3 today and try to bed it again, I couldn’t. So I believe this is strong enough

Back
Top Bottom