1yr old hen laying spiral shaped membrane and soft shelled eggs

Only one hen laying so many soft shelled eggs is surly a reason for concern.
I am concerned. Definitely not normal. The calcium is available in a couple different forms. Should I manually supplement her (if/when I can identify, gonna try the makeup marking of the vents). What about vitamin D? Would there be a calcium absorption problem? I’m not sure, just looking for input. I am a licensed veterinary technician but I have very little clinical experience with poultry.

I am concerned. Definitely not normal. The calcium is available in a couple different forms. Should I manually supplement her (if/when I can identify, gonna try the makeup marking of the vents). What about vitamin D? Would there be a calcium absorption problem? I’m not sure, just looking for input. I am a licensed veterinary technician but I have very little clinical experience with poultry.
You can try giving them all vitamins and see if it helps.

There are a few things you can try to do to find out who it is. Some people use lipstick or gel food coloring to make the vents of several hens. So you can identify who lays which egg. Don’t use red.
But just to be clear, because although some things *shouldn't* need to be said, some people still require them to be said. Discard the lipstick after... 🤣

Why supplement the whole flock when only one bird has an issue?
Because he doesn’t know who’s got it yet.
I simply put half multi vitamins tablet in one of their water buckets, they slowly drink it, and seem happier overall.
Their molting was only a couple of weeks this year, whereas most years they molted for months!
If they hate it they can just drink from the dumbbell water container.

Back
Top Bottom