1yr old hen suddenly crowing - roo?????

Kyzuzu

Hatching
Apr 7, 2023
I swear I've been getting 3 different colored eggs from my 3 hens for the last 8 or 9 months! But one of them is suddenly crowing almost every morning, is she just moody or is she actually a rooster? This started when one of her sisters went broody.
I did have a 4th chicken that turned out to be a rooster and got rid of him 5 or 6 months ago, and I THINK it's been a while since I've seen a fertilized egg?

Looks a bit like a blue amerucauna but I got all of my chickens from a batch of barnyard mutts.

This is super important, I can't have roosters where I'm at and can't have anyone snooping around the coop, they might notice that my run is way bigger than the city allows LOL

20240525_073232.jpg
20240525_073252.jpg
20240525_073259.jpg
20240525_073314.jpg
20240525_073317.jpg

Looks like a mature hen if this bird is 8-9 months old.

Sometimes hens will crow too. I have 1 that crows occasionally.

When there is no rooster in a flock sometimes a dominate hen will crow and also sound alerts to flock warning of danger. Some will mount other hens as a show of dominance.

As long as the rules say "No Roosters", you should be okay
Sometimes sharing eggs with neighbors helps smooth over problems.

Good luck! Pretty bird!

If you have 3 chickens laying 3 different colored eggs you have a hen crowing. Its not as rare as some think. Its triggered by illness or hormonal changes in the hen or the loss of a rooster in the flock

Back
Top Bottom