2 + 2 makes 4 - But what aboout feed

Doodadman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
I just added two 8 week old hens to my 2 15 month old hens. I am happily surprised that the transition has gone smoothly. I just have ine concern. I have layer crumble for the older birds. The young and older birds are sharing the same food. Am I harming the younger ones by not having a starter mix for them?

Yes, unfortunately you probably are. Layer feed has way too much calcium for developing chicks. It won't make them sick, but does often cause organ damage which will shorten their lives. A few days is probably not enough to cause major harm but it would be best to change feeds as soon as possible. I use gamebird feed (many others use flockraiser) for my mixed age/species flock and it works very well. I also keep oyster shell out free choice so the layers can meet their calcium needs. The youngsters don't bother with the oyster shell until they get close to laying age so there's no need to try to keep it out of reach.

There have been a lot of questions on this lately: The best thing is always feed to the younger birds, go to layer when they are all laying. They'll get by on the grower or flock raiser and free choice oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom