2.5 Mo Old Stays in coop

smilejo831

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014
I have 6 hens and 2 roosters. One of the hens will not come out of the coop now. I dont see her coming to eat. When I try to put her in the run she acts crazy - runs around the run and goes back into the coop and to the 2nd floor. Is this a peeking order and she's being shunned? I feel bad for her. She didnt used to be this way - There's a rooster that used to be her twin - same color etc.. and they used to stay close together, but now I think he's moved up in ranks, because both roosters take turns at crowing.

Since they're so young (almost 3 mo), i dont think she's brooding because none of them have begun laying eggs. Do I give her food and water? Please help! I will take any and all suggestions.

I have 6 hens and 2 roosters. One of the hens will not come out of the coop now. I dont see her coming to eat. When I try to put her in the run she acts crazy - runs around the run and goes back into the coop and to the 2nd floor. Is this a peeking order and she's being shunned? I feel bad for her. She didnt used to be this way - There's a rooster that used to be her twin - same color etc.. and they used to stay close together, but now I think he's moved up in ranks, because both roosters take turns at crowing.

Since they're so young (almost 3 mo), i dont think she's brooding because none of them have begun laying eggs. Do I give her food and water? Please help! I will take any and all suggestions.
Hi and welcome!

It does sound like something is making her extremely uncomfortable with being out of the coop - your challenge is going to be to figure out what that is.
You mention you have 8 birds total in this group - is that the total of all the birds you have? Am I reading correctly that all 8 birds are the same age - about 10-12 weeks? What is the size of the coop and of the run?
What breed(s) are your birds?
While your birds are still young, have you seen behavior beginning to develop regarding the gender imbalance you have?
Is there more than one food/water station currently available to the birds?
Is this bird showing signs of feather picking, comb/wattle damage, etc that would indicate aggression being directed towards her by someone in the flock?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom