2.5 Week Old Chick-Hocks Bend Backwards

Chirrup Charlie

Hatching
Dec 11, 2020
Hi Crew-
Long story short, I picked up a chick they were giving away at the feed store that had one leg that bent backwards at the hock joint-she kept the leg stuck out front. (I worked on it with splint etc) One night at about 1.5 weeks she started getting tremors in her head and wry neck looking stuff and really acted like she was going to die so I kind of stopped messing with her leg and just sort of wrapped her up in a body supporting/leg hanging tornado blanket and fed/watered her in an attempt to keep her comfortable while she passed. Well, she came back one morning very spry, but now her second leg is bending backwards (assuming it’s a tight tendon and weakness from disuse?)

Has anyone seen this? I’m at a loss for how to handle as nothing in any of the podiatry links or threads that I’m seeing seem to cover anything like this. When put in a splint that bends her knees, her legs become swollen and a darker color. I’m not wrapping too tightly.
Thanks!
Sarah

Attachments

• 06212701-4841-46CD-A4DC-E2E637DEE9D8.jpeg
    06212701-4841-46CD-A4DC-E2E637DEE9D8.jpeg
    927.5 KB · Views: 37
It could be, but odd that it acquired the condition on the second leg after she hopped around on it normally for quite some time. I don’t mind taking time and putting effort in it, but just trying to figure out a starting point. Thanks for your responses!

There’s another post on here from 2011 that looks something like what your chick has. It’s called “Help! Chick's leg stuck backwards! *Pics*”. I’m not sure if it’ll help at all but maybe it has some information that may lead to help. Good luck with your little chick.

Sorry about your chick.
Very well could be a leg bone deformity. Sadly, I would cull this chick and not put her through any other misery.
If she started acting at all miserable that would be a much easier decision! She was just trilling around asking for a chin scratch after devouring some eggs so I’m trying to make sure I’ve exhausted my options before seriously considering that. It seems odd that she was able to use at least one of them normally and another *somewhat* normally at one point and it just went so far downhill and then right back up (except her legs.) It makes me (probably too) hopeful that there is something that can be done.

Back
Top Bottom