2.5 weeks -One quail being aggressive.

Feb 17, 2021
My chicks are still in the brooder and 1 quail is being really aggressive to the ones smaller than it. It chases the others and pecks them in the eyes. What do I do? What does that mean?

Each bird has its own personality, just like people do. It sounds like you have an aggressive one. I would try separating it from its siblings for a day, then reintroduce it. If that doesn't work, you have the choice of trying to separate it out for longer (but it's not going to be happy. They're flock animals), finding a few that it gets along with and housing it with them, or culling it.

Edit: Do they have hiding places? That might also reduce this one's aggressiveness.

I had one that loved beaks and nostrils. She would peck every other chicks' face.

I was at wits end and a friend suggested she was way too young to be aggressive, just bored. It took some imagination, but I came up with all kinds of distractions, from a paper bag tube, to a lettuce piñata, then added a mirror for her.

I still have her. (And I'm glad, she was one of two hens in the batch). A red light would probably also help, since it masks color and helps to make all the birds look more similar.

Each bird has its own personality, just like people do. It sounds like you have an aggressive one. I would try separating it from its siblings for a day, then reintroduce it. If that doesn't work, you have the choice of trying to separate it out for longer (but it's not going to be happy. They're flock animals), finding a few that it gets along with and housing it with them, or culling it.

Edit: Do they have hiding places? That might also reduce this one's aggressiveness.
This is the brooder that they are in currently. There isn't much room to add places to hide.
I don't have another heater or I'd take it out and separate it. It doesn't pick on the bigger ones just the ones smaller than it. 20210301_185441.jpg

They look like they have enough feathers at this point to be comfortable at room temperature without the heater. I'm guessing that mine are about a week older than yours, and they're outside now without heat.

I would try taking the heat out and replacing it with a couple of boxes that have entrances cut in two sides.

They look like they have enough feathers at this point to be comfortable at room temperature without the heater. I'm guessing that mine are about a week older than yours, and they're outside now without heat.

I would try taking the heat out and replacing it with a couple of boxes that have entrances cut in two sides.
We're in Utah, so it's still pretty cold at night outside. I was hoping to move them to the garage next week with a heat lamp if needed. That cage is much bigger than this bin.

I'll take the heater out and try adding a box or two. There are 2-3 in there that are smaller than the aggressive. They were the ones I thought might still need the heater.

I had one that loved beaks and nostrils. She would peck every other chicks' face.

I was at wits end and a friend suggested she was way too young to be aggressive, just bored. It took some imagination, but I came up with all kinds of distractions, from a paper bag tube, to a lettuce piñata, then added a mirror for her.

I still have her. (And I'm glad, she was one of two hens in the batch). A red light would probably also help, since it masks color and helps to make all the birds look more similar.
I added a toilet paper roll and they are ALL very interested. 😆 Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom