2 air cells?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MN Chicken, Mar 26, 2015.

1. MN Chicken

MN Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Minnesota
    Has anyone seen a hatching eggs with two air cells? I candled this egg, and at first figured it had to be the yolk, but it isn't. It is a separate air cell, or so I think. I am new to this and could be just ignorant about the whole thing. This is a shipped egg. All other eggs from this shipment have pristine air cells...which is so great!

[​IMG]

Outlined to show the air cells since my candling photo isn't very good.
    [​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Do a thread search on saddle cells. It's possible for a saddle to split into 2 separate cells (I think). That's what you may be seeing, but it doesn't show in your photo.

3. MN Chicken

Mar 21, 2010
    Minnesota
    I was thinking that too, but couldn't come up with a photo or anything like it in my google frenzy ;) I am going to set this one in an egg carton just in case, I was just curious if anyone else had ever seen this, and what the hatch outcomes were. Both air cells are attached and not moving at all.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. Torch404

Torch404 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Northern Cali
    Is the air bubble loose in the egg. I candled one of my hens fresh eggs recently and it had an air bubble in it that moved around as I moved the egg. It was really weird I was thinking it was a fart that got caught in the egg. [​IMG]

The egg went in the normal line up and got ate so it wasn't noticeable when I opened them.

5. MN Chicken

Mar 21, 2010
    Minnesota
    Neither air cell is moving at all, they are both securely attached, which is why it seems so weird to me! Definitely not a chicken fart ;)

6. Torch404

Torch404 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Northern Cali
    Twins?

7. MN Chicken

Mar 21, 2010
    Minnesota
    Wouldn't that be cool? I don't know if twins have separate air cells. I will have to check for 2 embryos at 4-7 days.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No, they don't. Air cells are totally unrelated to how many chicks may be in an egg..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by