2 Americauna chicks?

navasima

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
New Mexico
Can't post pics because network is down today! Ack!

My 5 week old looked exactly like the chicks on the Americauna Club website - "eyeliner, stripey back...
I just got a little one today (10 days old)that is a dark copper color, no lines on her head, puff of feathers on her cheeks, no lines on her back. Do Americauna chicks have a really wide range of appearance?

Quote:
Hatchery Easter Eggers have a wide range of what they look like both as chicks and adults (I assume that since you are spelling Ameraucana with an "I" that you got them from a hatchery or feed store - in which case they are Easter Eggers). The only variety of Ameraucana that have stripes as chicks are silvers, and they are super hard to come by. The really cool thing about EEs is that you never know what they are going to look like.
smile.png
And you never know for sure what color egg they are going to lay, could be blue, green, brown, or even pink!!
big_smile.png

Actually, I spelled Ameraucana incorrectly because I'm a buckethead!
big_smile.png

I did get both chicks from a feed store and the first (Mary)really did look like a chipmunk with eyeliner. She matched the Silver pics perfectly. -fingers crossed-
I posted Molly's picture (finally able to)- the second chick - and response does seem to be EE. I picked her because she looked so different from the first.
Thanks for responding.
smile.png

I am probably going to get into trouble, but I really need to vent...
barnie.gif
Why is it that every time someone posts that they bought ameraucana chicks, those poor chicks are immediatley reduced to mutt status and called EEs? Those who really care if they meet show standards know the difference and buy them from a reputable breeder. Most of us raise chickens for food or just for the fun of it because they are so darn cute. I have a purebred registered labrador retriever with funny foot pad that can never win an AKC dog show... Does that make her an EE too?
hide.gif

I don't think anyone is saying EE are not as good as "purebred" ameracaunas. They're just trying to clarify what is a "ameracauna" and what is an "Easter Egger".

To chicken people, calling an EE chicken an ameracauna chicken is the same thing as calling a miniature Poodle a Pug. Sure, they're both dogs and they're both small, but they're two different breeds.

I have four EE chickens and I adore them. They are so beautiful, and I love that I get a different colored egg from each of them.

Because they aren't just an ameracuana with faults. Your lab would breed true regardless of faulty confirmation. The EEs (and there is NOT any stigma attached just because they aren't a recognized breed) are various breeds mixed and they do not breed true. It really has nothing to do with showing, but with accuracy. You probably would not be pleased if people started calling your lab something else just because they didn't know better. She will enjoy her chicks regardless, but she won't end up embarrassed at some point because she miscalled what they are.

Back
Top Bottom