2 broodies with chicks, same coop

HenOnAJuneBug

Crowing
May 20, 2015
I have one broody currently raising 3 chicks, and another broody that just hatched one today. A third broody is sitting on eggs.

What can I expect having two (and possibly 3) broodies raising their chicks in the same coop?

I have 2 new moms in the same coop right now here is how i solved the problem with the babies getting confused and going to the wrong mom and getting pecked. hopefully in a week or 2 I will be able to take it down and they will be fine.
image1.JPG

also here is a short video of them so far its working out great and the wire is just held up with a few zip ties. Each of them have 4 chicks.

Hi. :frow

My coop is over loaded with broody's! Most recently I had 4 all with chicks. And 3 of the mamas were black silkies & 1 Marans. With all the chicks being very close in age, it was a little confusing. But the babies learned very fast! I only blocked them in the first day. Now 3 of them have booted their chicks (taken them up to roost), but I have 2 more broody's. 1 BR with chicks that hatched this past Monday, and she had them out to pasture by 4 days old. And now another Marans girl. Since eggs aren't super important to me (I have way more hens than I need :oops:).. what kind of chicks will I get her?! :D Only my first Marans girl got to hatch her own eggs. All the rest have been adopted from the feed store or my own incubator because I don't like them sitting for so long. Aside from them losing condition, they occupy my lay boxes. Also a problem I have with girl sitting is that some other girls will kick them out to lay their eggs. Sometimes the broody will go back to the wrong nest when she gets impatient and sadly not return to original nest until I put her back. Plus I have accidentally collected the wrong egg trying to get the newly laid ones, because my pencil marks on the hatching eggs got too faded. Gosh I hope I didn't send that one out for eating! :sick

If you don't mind having another broody, it can be done depending on your set up. if you don't want another broody or more chicks, employ a broody breaker, aka elevated wire bottom cage.

Don't know how old your first set of chicks is, but with a few weeks between them it is much easier than all hatching the same week!

Best wishes! :pop

Humm, 3 Banty Brodie Hens Sitting on Banty Eggs, 12 Eggs from Hatchery, 4 under each hen :p days left 16 :love Thinking OF bringing eggs/chick's inside with 1 hen when they start hatching too raise all 12 chicks ?

The hens are in MAIN coop, regular Nest Box. Main Run NOT safe for Chicks, So I'll have to move .

: QUESTION : How . . . what's the best way? Ideas.

Last edited:
Humm, 3 Banty Brodie Hens Sitting on Banty Eggs, 12 Eggs from Hatchery, 4 under each hen :p days left 17 :love Thinking OF bringing eggs/chick's inside with 1 hen when they start hatching too raise all 12 chicks ?

: QUESTION : How . . . what's the best way? Ideas.

Not sure how the other 2 would react to it, whether they would continue to sit as if they still have eggs or walk around calling for their chicks. I'm curious to know.

The way I see it if they are going to sit on them and hatch them out for me Im going to let them raise them. I know Chickens dont have feelings like us but I still feel like it is wrong to get the hen to sit on the eggs for 21 days and then steal all her hard work from her.

Can Multiple hens be in same Run/Brooder to raise there chicks ?

I guess it depends upon how it's done.

One of my broody's hatched 3 chicks. Everything was going great. Then another broody hatched a chick. Today I walk into the coop and all of original mama's 3 chicks are hanging out with the new broody, and the 2 broodies are having a hissy. I separated them, but the 3 older chicks want to stay with the new broody, and the new broody wants them. The new chick is only about 2 days old and is kind of being ignored. I tried to give the new chick to the old broody, but no dice. So now the new broody is sheltering all 4 chicks, and the old broody seems content to go back to the nest.

Any tips/advice will be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom