2 broody hens in same cage?

uncle rico

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Spring Green, WI
I have 2 BO broodies right now and have them in the same cage. I was wondering if its OK to house two broodies together in the jail or if I have to house them seperate?

I have never had 2 broodies together, because i cant get 2 at a time to go broody, so lucky you! but i leave my broodies in the nest box where all the others are, and she normally hatches out 100%, even with disturbances, and other chickens trying to lay on her eggs, just mark them so you know which ones have likkle chickies, cos they tend to take on all eggs layed that day.

when I leave my broodies in the nesting boxes, they switch boxes every other day or so. I think its because they get confused. If I let them set on fertile eggs in the boxes, they would probably abandon them when they switch boxes
barnie.gif
. If I decided to let them hatch their eggs, I would move the broody hen to a coop on her own so I wouldn't have to worry about her walking off on them.

BTW, discovered just today that one of my BAs is broody, she'll have to go in the broody cage next

I recommend separate quarters. They may fight and / or attack each others bitties. Even if they do not they are likely to be stressed by each other which translates into reduced parental quality.

Last edited:
Do those hens get along normally? You dont want a submissive with a top bird.
My Silkie Hens always co brooded with no problems. They shared parenting and guarding.
My EEs had to be seperated. The would fight each other and trample the babies.
So it depends on the birds. You could try and take one hen away after they hatch if you have problems.

I had two blue ORPINGTON gals go broody a few days apart; the second joined the first in the big, covered kitty litter pan / nestbox. Then the buff ORP decided to join them.

I don't know how they breathed - the box was STUFFED with Orpingtons, feathers smashed against the walls and inside of the lid, 3 sets of beaks and eyes peering out through the opening, chittering ominously at any passing chicken. Or dog. Or cat. Or me.

One chick hatched, and one of the blue orps claimed it. The other two hens were "aunties." Then that chick died. Two more hatched, and each of the two other moms took over a single chick, each. Except sometimes they would trade off, and one hen would lead two chicks, other times it was the OTHER other hen.

I don't think it was very safe for the chicks, so next time this happens, I WILL attempt to separate the ladies.

I have had on occassion had two free-range game hens incubate what appeared to be the same clutch of eggs. In all occasions the number of chicks surviving to independence was below average for a brood tended by a single hen. Even when hens were related, too much squabbling kept chicks from quality foraging and more than average trampling. Chicks would be bonded to both hens and when hens had different ideas about where to go, chicks were exposed more than they should have been. Related hens did seem to do better than unrelated hens when such messes did occur.

I was talking about breaking them up (I already have 2 broodies right now), not letting them hatch eggs. Sorry if I didn't clarify enough. Both the hens I have in the broody cage are both around the middle of the pecking order so they get along pretty well. If they had started fighting I would have seperated them.

Hoping to revive this thread a bit. I have the same issue. Two of my hens want to brood. One of them has chicks just 6 weeks old!! Dern cochin
roll.png

Anyhow- Her and my Ameraucana are sharing a "broody breaking cage" They get along okay. They just keep spilling thier water and food by pacing to and fro. I'm using all my normal food and waterers between my main coop and my 6 week olds... I think I'll have to pick up an extra set though- They can't go without water in these 95 degree temps!!

How's it going with your hens??

Back
Top Bottom