2 broody hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ajbett1204, May 16, 2017.

1. ajbett1204

ajbett1204 Just Hatched

Apr 15, 2017
    Minnesota
    Hello,
    I have 2 broody hens and they both are fighting on staying on the same eggs. When one lays on the eggs, the other will be in the other nesting box laying on the infertile eggs that got laid that day or nothing at all. Should I get more eggs or can I try putting baby chicks under one of them? I don't have much experience with broody hens.

2. Laura Gerrard

Laura Gerrard Just Hatched

May 16, 2017
    California
    Try separating the hens into different coops because they can break the eggs and they can also end up fighting over the babies. Hens tend to favor one nesting box.

ajbett1204 likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd suggest breaking the broodiness of one of the hens. Search "broody buster" in "Search forums", but its basically putting the broody hen in a wire crate that is slightly elevated above the ground (with food and water) for 3-5 days.

Providing the hens have not been broody for a number of weeks, then putting fertile eggs under one of the broodies is fine. Giving chicks seems to be more successful if the hen has been broody for around two weeks (from what i have read) but she may reject them, so you'd need a plan B, just in case.

ajbett1204 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by