2 Cayuga Girls & 1 Cayuga Drake

I’ll try to get some better pictures this afternoon but here are two recent pictures.
190A6FF0-E466-474A-BD00-BE91689EC911.png
7B6871F5-C931-4931-8463-C9CE843A213E.png

Interesting! Thank you for your feedback. They are all so beautiful! We love Gilbert’s coloring & the girls have some pretty colors too. We are so blessed to have them for pets. Thank you again for all of your help! God Bless! ❤️

Your very welcome Blessing to you!

Hi Miss Lydia,

Update: So our smallest girl is most definitely spending more time on her own resting.

She did come to see me when I went out to see them this morning. She was also excited to eat the peas I gave them but then as soon as the peas were gone she went & laid down again.

I let them out to free range about 90 minutes later & for the most part she kept to herself. The boy & other girl went this way & that while our little girl rested.

Late in the day I took treats to our them and while the other two came “running” she didn’t even bother to get up which is totally out of character for her.

I went in and out of their enclosure numerous times after that to check on her. At one point on one of my visits she got up and went to one of their water bowls and took a few sips. She didn’t put her entire head in so just little sips.

Then she coughed once and some peas (presumably from their morning treat) came out of her beak. I have never seen that happen before so I don’t know if it’s unusual or not.

On another visit I picked her up and she passed some gas or at least it sounded like she did. After I put her down she flapped her wings and immediately laid back down.

I am a first time duck owner, they hatched in May, so I’m not sure as to what’s normal duck behavior and what isn’t.

We did find an egg in their enclosure on October 15, and more since then including four that had been hidden, so I even wondered if she might be broody but it isn’t as if she’s always sitting in the same place which is what I would think a broody duck would be doing.

To reiterate from an earlier thread: this duck is slightly smaller than the other two. She shows no interest in mating whereas the other two mate each other & then they both take turns going after her. She usually quacks at them and then goes in the opposite direction. I have yet to see either duck on top of her.

One more thing:when she did get up from her periods of resting
it didn’t seem as if she was standing as upright as she usually does.

Do you think I am being overly concerned or does it sound as if something is wrong?

Thank you!

Can you get a picture of her poop? I know sounds disgusting but it can tell a lot. Passing gas sounds unusual I’ve never heard mine do that. Another thing this morning feel her crop area is it full and hard or squishy. Or flat and empty this can tell us if she is having trouble emptying her crop . I would def keep her where you can observe her eating drinking and pooping. Might want to gently feel down on her belly around her vent for an egg. That’s another reason to keep her up so you know if she’s laying. Or having reproductive issues. I don’t want to scare you and that’s why you need to monitor her right now, sounds like something is going on with her and the other 2 have picked up on it.

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I truly appreciate it. ❤️

Yes, we do have a ramp, and we’ve modified it a couple of times to try and make it easier for her to no avail. My husband came up with another option which we are going to try this week so hopefully it will be easier for her.

In the group pic she’s on the left. She doesn’t have a male feather & she most definitely quacks like our other girl although not as loud. Not the best pics to see size difference but here you go & again thank you so much!View attachment 1940247 View attachment 1940248
The only thing I would add, I have a runt duck, Lou..much smaller...sometimes he goes off on his own, and he gets hurt a lot..if you think she is smaller, and you want her a bit bigger for winter, Miss Lydia suggested I put Lou on kitten food for the high protein and it’s helping...if she’ll let you..I don’t know how she lets you handle her, but sometimes I have to teach my ducks new things...teach her the ramp and how to get in the pool while the other are busy foraging? Just a thought..my ducks are my sweet spot

Can you get a picture of her poop? I know sounds disgusting but it can tell a lot. Passing gas sounds unusual I’ve never heard mine do that. Another thing this morning feel her crop area is it full and hard or squishy. Or flat and empty this can tell us if she is having trouble emptying her crop . I would def keep her where you can observe her eating drinking and pooping. Might want to gently feel down on her belly around her vent for an egg. That’s another reason to keep her up so you know if she’s laying. Or having reproductive issues. I don’t want to scare you and that’s why you need to monitor her right now, sounds like something is going on with her and the other 2 have picked up on it.

Should I bring her inside then? Will she be OK to be separated from her siblings? Will there be any issues with the vast temp difference going from 14 degrees to inside house temps? Or is that the least of my concerns at this point?

When I went out this morning Gilbert & Sassy immediately started making noise & getting excited. When I peaked into their enclosure both were by the door whereas Mama hadn’t bothered to get up nor was she making any noise. I took their morning peas to her as I didn’t know if she would get up and go to where I always put them. She did start to eat some right away.

I brought their water bowls in to wash them and then when I went back it with them all three were waiting for water. Mama laid down to drink and she took little sips but no dunking. She walked once around the enclosure and then layed down. Gilbert and Sassy are next to her as I type this.

I am heading back out now to see if I can feel anything.

Back
Top Bottom