2 Chicken Coops in 1 Weekend

CalgaryFarmer

Songster
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Just outside Calgary, Alberta
Math has always been my best subject. So why have I failed so miserably at chicken math?!

Anyways, I built a coop last summer that seemed like it took ALL summer to build and cost 4-5 times what I expected. See under my avatar for a link to my existing coop that took ALL summer to build and cost 4-5 times what I expected.

This time I am going to try to build 2 coops in one weekend. I have not cost it out. I will provide costing. Costing will be in Canadian dollars, which is about US$0.75 for each CND.

Each coop will be approximately 15 sq feet. [Everyone is now doing that chicken math that nobody seems to be able to do very well ... "I think I should be able to keep 300 or so hens in that coop!"]

The 2 chicken coops will be adjoining. So when someone complains that I cheated, I can point to the foregoing caveat.

At any rate, the objective is to create a simple plan that is fairly functional and can be built in one weekend.

I am currently working on drawings, which I will share with everyone.

Not counted in the weekend will be site prep and getting all of the supplies.

As well, I suspect it may take me a total of 3 days. I will likely have to do a bunch of runs to the local building supplies store, which is not so local, due to a lack of planning/foresight on my part. Ideally, you will not have to do these extra runs as I will forewarn you.

As well, depending on how it goes, I may or may not include painting in my 2, er 3, day challenge.

Lots of wiggle room!!! I love it! With all these caveats I should have been an attorney. Wait ... I am an attorney.

Which leads me to my next topic. I am not a builder or a carpenter. That said, I am somewhat comfortable with a hammer and saw. At any rate, the skill level should be fairly moderate.

I do not expect to start building for a month or so. I am still planning.

Last edited:
You might want to check YouTube at texaspreper2 did for a greenhouse I believe it would be easy to convert what he did to a chicken coop I wish I had seen his video before I did my coop it would have saved me me a lot of time and money

No plans to share yet?
tongue.gif

JanetS,

Current setup, needs and uses:

Thanks for your interest. We currently have 4 hens that are about 2 years old, 2 pullets and a cockerel that are about 21 weeks and 9 chicks that are 9 weeks old (possibly 5 cockerels and 4 pullets).

We currently have a 4x8 coop which will soon house our youngest pullets and a cockerel. We may include 1 or 2 of the older hens to keep order.

The new coops are intended to have a number of possible functions:

1. brooders,
2. batchelor pads,
3. breeding pens, and/or
4. coops.

Currently the plan is to use the new coops as grow-outs for the cockerels.

The new coops will be adjoining with an interior door that can be closed to keep occupants separated. We currently have 2 separate runs and the old coop will be in the larger run and the new coops will be in the smaller run. There is a door between the 2 runs.

Plans for the new coops are being sketched. I will post by next weekend.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom