2 chicken eggs developing very slowly. help ;-;

ceaae_

Hatching
Apr 3, 2022
So hi! It's my first post, and I will go straight to the point. (long post ahead)

We, my family, have been incubating eggs using a DIY incubator for 5 batches of 10-6-10-6-10 eggs. (It's like every week we put on a new batch of eggs since we only have 2 hens and they are RIR, so they rarely hatch the eggs themselves).

Right now, we are in the 4th batch of eggs to hatch (6 eggs). 2 have gone bad early on and this time, we tried to spread out the eggs (the remaining 4) to "experiment" if our upper level can sustain hatching and incubating an egg. We put 2 eggs in it. (it's a forced-air incubator that reads the middle of our incubator and the sensor is supposed to turn on the incandescent light when it is 37.2 degrees C up to 37.8 degrees celsius).

THe problem:
It is in their 18th day on the incubator, and we should be doing the lockdown and should raise the humidity. (but we don't raise the humidity because there is still another batch waiting to hatch next week; humidity is on 55-57%). I have checked and candled them last night, and the 2 eggs in the middle of the incubator are developed and you can see the chicks; for the other 2 eggs on the uppermost level, I can identify them as on the day 11 or 12 based on their development, and they are alive and kicking. (according to this picture: https://poultryworld.tripod.com/embryo.htm).

As soon as I found out they are late in development, I put them down 2 levels, closer to the light and am planning to continue on turning them as if they are on day 18. But I'm not sure, so I want to ask you guys,

Should I continue turning the other 2 eggs, as if they are not on day 18? or should I just put them on lockdown?

If we should continue turning them, how long should I wait to put them on lockdown?

Last edited:
Do you have pictures of them? Staggered hatches are a lot of work. What is your temperature and humidity during incubation?

Tip for the future. You can collect and store eggs for 2 weeks. The longer they sit the hatchability lowers but it's easier then having staggered hatches.

Do you have pictures of them? Staggered hatches are a lot of work. What is your temperature and humidity during incubation?

Tip for the future. You can collect and store eggs for 2 weeks. The longer they sit the hatchability lowers but it's easier then having staggered hatches.
Sorry for the long reply.

I'm sorry, I replied late. I don't think they're alive right now. They just look goo-ey and whenever I turn the egg and candle, the dark blob just follows the "front"(to where I am looking through). I'm just gonna wait until tomorrow to candle and eventually decide when to bury them.

As for the other 2 eggs(who are developing right, I assume), they still aren't externally pip.

There is a lot of vents/ way where the air inside goes out in our incubator. So our temperature for the duration of 21 days, goes from 37.2 to 38 degrees celsius. And our humidity just stays the same, 50-55%. It goes in a range since we also have other eggs to turn, as they are still developing.

Yeah, I also realized that staggered hatches are really hard, it's hard to not open the incubator since you also have other eggs to tend to. After next week, we will stop incubating eggs for the moment. We will disinfect and let the air inside go out and make the incubator "fresh" again since it's starting to smell.

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. Next time, I'll try to convince my father not to do staggered hatches <333

Back
Top Bottom