2 chicks not eating or drinking,advice needed please

kari04

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2015
Hi
I have hatched out 18 chicks,2 days old now
5 buff sussex,5 black leghorn,3 lavender leghorn,1 white orpington,2 salmon faverolle and 2 light sussex
Out of the 3 lavender leghorns,two of them are much much smaller than the others and can't walk well,not eating or drinking (only drink when I put their beaks in the water) I have mixed cider vinegar with their water with no success in getting them up and about,they are walking flat on their bellys,one has been a target pecking at its rear end and has a scab,which I have washed with warm water,I've also separated this one off in a tub to allow the area to dry,can anyone suggest what i can do to help these two babies as I'm worried they are so much smaller than the rest including the other lavender leghorn,I'm not sure if there is any genetic issue with it being the same breed with the same problem,both hatched normally so I just don't know,I just know that these two are not happy about something!

I would suggest using a product such as "save-a-chick" or other supportive product that will provide their little systems a boost. Water with ACV is not going to save them. Even a simple sugar water would be more helpful to them as it would provide their system a little "kick" to help get them up and moving and more inclined to take in additional nutrients through food. Wetted feed can help entice them as well. When they get down you have to get them back to a point where they *can/will* want to take in the nutrients they need - because their systems are starting to shut down so they aren't going to do it on their own. They may not be salvageable even with these efforts.

My favorite "go to" product is Poultry Nutri-Drench. If you can't find the poultry product buy the goat or sheep Nutri-Drench. It can be mixed with their water (I use a dropper full per quart) or it can be very carefully given full strength. I try to get the chick to drink it. I never put liquid directly in a chick's mouth, but if you hold the drop to the side of the beak, it will "wick" into their mouth. Sugar water would also be a good thing for a weak chick. You'll need to research the strength to use, but my recollection (which may be faulty) is 1 tbsp/qt. In the beginning, with new chicks, I alternate a quart of Nutri-Drench water with a quart of plain water for a few days. Be sure to give them fresh solution daily, as it will grow bacteria.

Thank you for your replies,I've been taking them to the water at intervals all day,but they are not interested when I take them to the food,all they are doing is wanting to stay under the heat lamp

Absolutely, lazygardner!! You beat me to it. The Nutri-Drench does not need to be digested. It mainlines directly to the bloodstream. Get them some now! Whichever formula you choose, use the Poultry formula directions just like lazygardner said. http://www.nutridrench.com Tractor Supply has the lowest price ( 6.99). Get the small bottle, it is very concentrated. You need to get it in the chicks before lack of nutrition causes their body systems to start a cascade of failures. If I could give lazygardner 5 Ovations for this advice I would. It's excellent.
Best,
Karen

Thank you for your replies,I've been taking them to the water at intervals all day,but they are not interested when I take them to the food,all they are doing is wanting to stay under the heat lamp
You need more. You need an intervention at this point. If they are not interested in eating or drinking, then the stress they have is enough to compromise their G.I. tract's ability to absorb any helps you can give them anyway. They need the equivalent of an IV of nutrition. Chicks are what they absorb, not what they eat or drink.
They need energy to live and right now they don't have the ability to uptake that energy thru normal channels. That's why the Nutri-Drench products are so wonderful. They bypass that challenge and mainline that nutrition right to the bloodstream.

Did you dip their beaks in the water? Enough so you see them take a drink. You need to do that. Just showing the water to them isn't enough.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Oh yes they have drank small bits when I dip their beaks,just tried the sugar and water,they both took a little bit,but one has taken a bad turn,it's currently in my hand,not making any sounds,feet curled up with small amounts of blood coming from its vent,it's breathing really really fast and making jurking movements,this is the one that had a pecked vent on day 1

Last edited:
Oh yes they have drank small bits when I dip their beaks,just tried the sugar and water,they both took a little bit,but one has taken a bad turn,it's currently in my hand,not making any sounds,feet curled up with small amounts of blood coming from its vent,it's breathing really really fast and making jurking movements
Oh, this is not good, the blood from the vent. Now it sounds like you have a sickness. Take this over to the Sickness thread . There are very knowledgeable folk there waiting to help. You still need the Nutri-Drench to try and help restore their metabolism, But now it reads like you also need something else due to the blood issue. Put that needy chick in isolation immediately. Hopefully the others won't get sick if he is. You are probably going to lose that one with the bloody vent.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures Put " 911 Sick Chicks , Help!! " in your title line.
Karen

Last edited:
Thank you,I'm not sure if the blood is related to the pecking of its bottom,I've separated them both in a tub in the brooder but kept them under the heat lamp in their tub while the others have the heat plate,I'm desperate to help this chick but I just don't know what to do,this is my first encounter with this,I saved a chick from my last batch with pasty butt but this seems hopeless,I don't have any pet shops around here where I can get the nutrients asap so I feel helpless

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom