2 Crippled Hens

I can’t identify the OP’s breed as a meat bird, but these leg bone deformities are much more common in meat birds (broilers,) although all poultry can have them.
upload_2018-8-17_9-48-24.jpeg

I have a cockerel that is a meat bird. He was a tractor supply surprise.... anyway he is now around 6 months and has developed a limp. I have read this is common with the heavier birds. I have decided as long as he is well enough to walk to free range and to mate... he lives. When he starts to suffer and can’t be a chicken than I will cull.

THANK YOU so much everybody for your thoughts. I really appreciate it!!!!
Come to think of it, I recall when I bought the 4 chicks at TSC, I was told that they were a meat bird as well as a laying bird. So Kikisgirls is probably right - I have unwittingly raised some broilers. So I read the articles that Wyorp Rock and Eggcessive linked, and it totally makes sense. I guess I should consider myself lucky that 2 out of the 4 girls have healthy legs!
I suppose the condition is painful? That's one thing the articles didn't address, and that would help me decide whether I should cull the affected ones??

I was told that they were a meat bird as well as a laying bird.
If they were indeed NHR... they are dual purpose for both meat and eggs... but NO where near like broilers.

When he starts to suffer and can’t be a chicken than I will cull
Limping is a sign of pain usually. I choose not to keep birds that can't live pain free... that is suffering to me. We all have different ideas and limits though. :confused:

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with your hens. :hugsEveryone has given great information on what could be going on with your hens and it is most likely the issue.

However, I'll voice the experience I've just had with one of my roosters, just in case. He's 2.5 years old and he has had zero issues. He's been tousling with others and he started walking like the hen in your first pic. It appears the tendon is slipping off the back of his hock. I've caught him and it's easy to feel it slip. I wrapped his leg for support, but Mr. Houdini lost the wrap sometime yesterday when I was combining.:rolleyes: He is the only case like this I've had. He has several Marans cross siblings who have never presented with a problem.

At this point my roo is favoring it, yet still happy and crowing. But if it cannot be stabilized (and I don't hold great hope) he will be euthanized to prevent any further suffering...as painful as it is for me to consider that option.

If this was to be the case with your hen/hens, you should be able to feel the tendon slip off the bone at the back of their hock. The hock joint may be also be swollen. It would be strange for both hens to experience this at the same time. If you haven't experienced this in the past, it is likely these hens require "more" to sustain their bodies than the chickens you've had in the past. Or perhaps they are predisposed to lacking specific key vitamins/minerals due to their genetics and the way their bodies utilize these.

In my experience, cull the problem and you will have no problems. Any animal/bird requiring extra work/feed to maintain robust health next to animals/birds that don't require the extras to maintain that robust health are not worth it. It's very hard on the heart, I know from experience. But it does save a world of hurt in the future if you keep offspring. If you don't breed, then it is a personal choice of how much extra work you wish to do and the bird's quality of life. :)

Last edited:
Tractor Supply are notorious for mixing chicks up and putting chicks back in the wrong bins....(I live in the UK and have never been to the USA and I know this!!) My guess is that you probably have 2 New Hampshire and 2 Red Rangers meat birds, hence only 2 experiencing leg issues (or possibly 4 Red Rangers and only 2 are suffering so far). Hatchery NH are bred more to be layers than real dual purpose like heritage NH should be. The bird in the photo is too chesty and stocky to be a hatchery NH in my opinion.

Sadly I don't think this will end well for these 2 individuals and it would be kinder to end it for them now. If you are going to do that, it would be a shame to waste their meat. Do you feel able to process them or could you find someone who would do it. They will be tougher at 5 months than a normal meat bird but they will still slow cook nicely if you can get your head around eating them.

Back
Top Bottom