2 dads

Athiena14

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 23, 2018
St. Robert MO
It's amazing what 2 different dads will cause babies to look like.
Mom is an ee/buff orpington
Dads are ee/rir and unsure mix
20190824_114641.jpg
20190602_114941.jpg
20190526_114932.jpg

Are you sure the dads are different? I have an American game hen who is a mix of cream, beige, red, and buff, and the dad is a white Leghorn bantam/Serama cross (he's white except for some pale gold highlights on his neck feathers and some rust and brown streaks on his wings). The two have been together in the coop/run without access to any other chickens for about a year and the hen just hatched out a batch of 11 chicks. Five are predominantly white with a few spots of the colors mentioned above (which I expected all or most of them to be), one is almost a carbon copy of momma hen, one is gold and brown, and four are almost solid black (with a few white or gold highlights on neck and breast feathers). So, I'm assuming that solid black color comes from dad's Serama line (but I'm not 100% sure since I'm not a chicken genetics expert ;)). But it was so cool seeing those little charcoal fluff balls when they popped their heads out from under momma hen's wing <3.

Are you sure the dads are different? I have an American game hen who is a mix of cream, beige, red, and buff, and the dad is a white Leghorn bantam/Serama cross (he's white except for some pale gold highlights on his neck feathers and some rust and brown streaks on his wings). The two have been together in the coop/run without access to any other chickens for about a year and the hen just hatched out a batch of 11 chicks. Five are predominantly white with a few spots of the colors mentioned above (which I expected all or most of them to be), one is almost a carbon copy of momma hen, one is gold and brown, and four are almost solid black (with a few white or gold highlights on neck and breast feathers). So, I'm assuming that solid black color comes from dad's Serama line (but I'm not 100% sure since I'm not a chicken genetics expert ;)). But it was so cool seeing those little charcoal fluff balls when they popped their heads out from under momma hen's wing <3.
The black baby came out black everything skin and all.

Dropped. I only had one issue with an egg eater and it was fixed with more oyster shells out. Other than that they only eat eggs that have been cracked or deopped

I'd still be really careful but your flock. Once they get the taste for those eggs- they realize what all the fuss about keeping backyard chickens is about and want some of the action! :)

I'd still be really careful but your flock. Once they get the taste for those eggs- they realize what all the fuss about keeping backyard chickens is about and want some of the action! :)
I try to keep any eggs outside of the coop. (Course accidents happen.) I keep an eye on the egg eater, it's easy to see when it happens.

Back
Top Bottom