2 day, 20 hour interstate move with 12 hens

Bluechick2u

Songster
7 Years
Jan 12, 2016
Prineville, OR
I am moving from southern California to central Oregon with my 12 hens, plan to transport them in my toy hauler trailer, what is the best way to transport them, keep them warm yet still ventilated enough? I am moving end of February to beginning of March, only 5 of them are naked necks. These are my pets, I can't sell them. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:
I think it is best if you move them in crates, so they don't get bounced around too much. When you take rest stops, maybe you can let them loose in the trailer to eat, drink, poo, before locking them back up.

Some people bring a covered wire exercise pen ( for dogs) so they can spread their wings and do their business outside. You would have to be careful that they don't get lose when transferring them to the pen and back.- maybe just do a few at a time. Is there a way they can get some ventilation in the trailer,? .I can't picture what it looks like, and what the temperature would be like at that time of the year. You can also put a radio with them and the music may keep them from stressing - unless it's heavy metal.

I've heard of other folks packing them(in crates) in their car, so they can control the heat/ cooling and ventilation - also keep a good look at them to know what is going on. Hope some of this helps.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

I think it is best if you move them in crates, so they don't get bounced around too much.  When you take rest stops,  maybe you can let them loose in the trailer to eat, drink, poo, before locking them back up.

Some people bring  a covered wire exercise pen ( for dogs)  so they can spread their wings  and do their business outside.   You would have to be careful that they don't get lose when transferring them to the pen and back.- maybe just do a few at a time.    Is there a way they can get some ventilation in the trailer,?   .I can't picture what it looks like, and what the temperature  would be like at that time of the year.    You can also put a radio with them and the music may keep them from stressing  - unless it's heavy metal.

I've heard of other folks packing them(in crates) in their car, so they can control the heat/ cooling and ventilation - also keep a good look at them to know what is going on. Hope some of this helps. 

Thank you for the advice, I took it and we drove 1100 miles north with 21 chickens (neighbors gave us theirs since they were moving out and we were transporting chickens anyway) it took 10 pet crates with sliced watermelon and cucumber for water, we drove nonstop thru the night with the AC on and everybody made it alive, although the smell was pretty bad and at 4:30 am the rooster started crowing. Its possible, if you want to keep your chickens badly enough. Thank you for the advice!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom