2 Day Old Chick- What is This? Is Something Wrong With It???

Ok, that is unabsorbed yolk sac. It looks really dry so it'll probably fall off soon. Don't cut it. Put him in a separate brooder all by himself until it falls off and heals over. The legs look fine to me, if they're longer than the other chicks' I'm sure it's just genetics.
To fluff him up, get a clean, soft toothbrush. Dampen it in warm water. GENTLY scrub the chick with it, and then dry him off. Put him in the brooder. He should fluff up after that.
Was this chick an assisted hatch?

I'll be honest, I've never seen one quite like this. It's definitely very dry and won't be absorbed any further but cutting it could possibly cause a bleed, which is why others are suggesting to leave it without cutting. My concern would be that there are also intestines there because the coloration and the "string" is unusual to see even with an unabsorbed yolk sac. Is there any chance this could have been a double yolk egg? Does the abdomen of this chick look round at all like it absorbed a yolk sac?

I'll be honest, I've never seen one quite like this. It's definitely very dry and won't be absorbed any further but cutting it could possibly cause a bleed, which is why others are suggesting to leave it without cutting. My concern would be that there are also intestines there because the coloration and the "string" is unusual to see even with an unabsorbed yolk sac. Is there any chance this could have been a double yolk egg? Does the abdomen of this chick look round at all like it absorbed a yolk sac?
You mean like it could've had a twin?

It looks like a possible umbilical hernia to me. If it is there’s nothing that can be done at this point. I lost a chick to one a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom