2 Day Old Chick- What is This? Is Something Wrong With It???

ChickNButt32

In the Brooder
May 5, 2021
This chick is a French Copper. He hatched at 3am 5/4/21. He is dragging what I thought was the yolk Sac when he was born. I left alone to see if it would dry and fall of its self. It did dry up but hasn’t fallen off this morning 5/5/21. I had to remove the other chicks to the brooder they tried to peak it and was walking on it and I was worried it would tear. I’m new at this so this was my first hatch and I was very happy with the outcome. I also feel something may be wrong with him... I have never been around French Coppers so maybe it’s normal but this chick right here has the longest legs I have ever seen! They are as long as my Index finger and I have started calling him the Giant because he is Tall. Also noticed he peaks at his toes. Also I have 2 other eggs in the bator, the float test said they r viable. I feel I need to add him som food and water in there until I can place him back with the others in the brooder. Someone tell me what to do and what is this thing!
4EE1422C-E595-41B1-B333-67DB6C20857D.jpeg
C8D9E217-5B67-4664-995D-E51BEAD6170E.jpeg
6DFBD48F-E4AF-4E45-B4D2-CFC4DC8192EF.jpeg

Ok, that is unabsorbed yolk sac. It looks really dry so it'll probably fall off soon. Don't cut it. Put him in a separate brooder all by himself until it falls off and heals over. The legs look fine to me, if they're longer than the other chicks' I'm sure it's just genetics.
To fluff him up, get a clean, soft toothbrush. Dampen it in warm water. GENTLY scrub the chick with it, and then dry him off. Put him in the brooder. He should fluff up after that.
Was this chick an assisted hatch?

Can’t weigh in on the stringy thing, just want to add that they don’t usually fluff up well in the incubator. The humidity is too high. It will fluff up once it’s out in a brooder, even without help (except if it has material stuck to its down, like membrane, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here).

It isn’t feathers hanging... I believe it’s umbilical cord....it’s still hanging but we have to move him on to brooder. I was gonna snip it but not without someone saying it will be ok to. View attachment 2651613
I'm no imbelical cord conisuer, but I don't think you should cut it...

Usually the rule is not to cut and wait for it to dry up and fall off. If there are any active veins left it can bleed out. Generally the rule is to leave the umbilical area completely alone because you also risk dislodging the cord too early and that can also cause bleeding and an open wound that very difficult to keep clean.
Sorry i didn't tag any of you, my brain hurt and I couldn't think who would be smart like this.

I'll be honest, I've never seen one quite like this. It's definitely very dry and won't be absorbed any further but cutting it could possibly cause a bleed, which is why others are suggesting to leave it without cutting. My concern would be that there are also intestines there because the coloration and the "string" is unusual to see even with an unabsorbed yolk sac. Is there any chance this could have been a double yolk egg? Does the abdomen of this chick look round at all like it absorbed a yolk sac?

Back
Top Bottom