2 Day Old Chick- What is This? Is Something Wrong With It???

ChickNButt32

In the Brooder
May 5, 2021
This chick is a French Copper. He hatched at 3am 5/4/21. He is dragging what I thought was the yolk Sac when he was born. I left alone to see if it would dry and fall of its self. It did dry up but hasn’t fallen off this morning 5/5/21. I had to remove the other chicks to the brooder they tried to peak it and was walking on it and I was worried it would tear. I’m new at this so this was my first hatch and I was very happy with the outcome. I also feel something may be wrong with him... I have never been around French Coppers so maybe it’s normal but this chick right here has the longest legs I have ever seen! They are as long as my Index finger and I have started calling him the Giant because he is Tall. Also noticed he peaks at his toes. Also I have 2 other eggs in the bator, the float test said they r viable. I feel I need to add him som food and water in there until I can place him back with the others in the brooder. Someone tell me what to do and what is this thing!
4EE1422C-E595-41B1-B333-67DB6C20857D.jpeg
C8D9E217-5B67-4664-995D-E51BEAD6170E.jpeg
6DFBD48F-E4AF-4E45-B4D2-CFC4DC8192EF.jpeg

This chick is a French Copper. He hatched at 3am 5/4/21. He is dragging what I thought was the yolk Sac when he was born. I left alone to see if it would dry and fall of its self. It did dry up but hasn’t fallen off this morning 5/5/21. I had to remove the other chicks to the brooder they tried to peak it and was walking on it and I was worried it would tear. I’m new at this so this was my first hatch and I was very happy with the outcome. I also feel something may be wrong with him... I have never been around French Coppers so maybe it’s normal but this chick right here has the longest legs I have ever seen! They are as long as my Index finger and I have started calling him the Giant because he is Tall. Also noticed he peaks at his toes. Also I have 2 other eggs in the bator, the float test said they r viable. I feel I need to add him som food and water in there until I can place him back with the others in the brooder. Someone tell me what to do and what is this thing!View attachment 2650642View attachment 2650644View attachment 2650646
Goodness sakes that is a long legged cutie! Are the cords feathers or actual fleshy cords?

It isn’t feathers hanging... I believe it’s umbilical cord....it’s still hanging but we have to move him on to brooder. I was gonna snip it but not without someone saying it will be ok to.
image.jpg

Also he is a chirpy one but is mighty puny(skinny) looking got some chick starter now to feed him and water with a bit of Pedialyte

It isn’t feathers hanging... I believe it’s umbilical cord....it’s still hanging but we have to move him on to brooder. I was gonna snip it but not without someone saying it will be ok to. View attachment 2651613
I'm no imbelical cord conisuer, but I don't think you should cut it...

Back
Top Bottom