2 Day Old Chick- What is This? Is Something Wrong With It???

Can’t weigh in on the stringy thing, just want to add that they don’t usually fluff up well in the incubator. The humidity is too high. It will fluff up once it’s out in a brooder, even without help (except if it has material stuck to its down, like membrane, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here).

Ok, that is unabsorbed yolk sac. It looks really dry so it'll probably fall off soon. Don't cut it. Put him in a separate brooder all by himself until it falls off and heals over. The legs look fine to me, if they're longer than the other chicks' I'm sure it's just genetics.
To fluff him up, get a clean, soft toothbrush. Dampen it in warm water. GENTLY scrub the chick with it, and then dry him off. Put him in the brooder. He should fluff up after that.
Was this chick an assisted hatch?
No he was not assisted I actually had checked all the eggs that night at 1am and saw no new pips and just the 2 chicks that were already born. Then at 3:30am my man woke up and found him and thought he may be dead and was running late so called me at 5am to have me check on him (I was asleep). He seems to def be a runt compared to the other French copper that hatched behind him but runts are my fav lol.

Back
Top Bottom