2 Day Old Chick- What is This? Is Something Wrong With It???

I'll be honest, I've never seen one quite like this. It's definitely very dry and won't be absorbed any further but cutting it could possibly cause a bleed, which is why others are suggesting to leave it without cutting. My concern would be that there are also intestines there because the coloration and the "string" is unusual to see even with an unabsorbed yolk sac. Is there any chance this could have been a double yolk egg? Does the abdomen of this chick look round at all like it absorbed a yolk sac?
You mean like it could've had a twin?

Ok, that is unabsorbed yolk sac. It looks really dry so it'll probably fall off soon. Don't cut it. Put him in a separate brooder all by himself until it falls off and heals over. The legs look fine to me, if they're longer than the other chicks' I'm sure it's just genetics.
To fluff him up, get a clean, soft toothbrush. Dampen it in warm water. GENTLY scrub the chick with it, and then dry him off. Put him in the brooder. He should fluff up after that.
Was this chick an assisted hatch?
No he was not assisted I actually had checked all the eggs that night at 1am and saw no new pips and just the 2 chicks that were already born. Then at 3:30am my man woke up and found him and thought he may be dead and was running late so called me at 5am to have me check on him (I was asleep). He seems to def be a runt compared to the other French copper that hatched behind him but runts are my fav lol.

This chick is a French Copper. He hatched at 3am 5/4/21. He is dragging what I thought was the yolk Sac when he was born. I left alone to see if it would dry and fall of its self. It did dry up but hasn’t fallen off this morning 5/5/21. I had to remove the other chicks to the brooder they tried to peak it and was walking on it and I was worried it would tear. I’m new at this so this was my first hatch and I was very happy with the outcome. I also feel something may be wrong with him... I have never been around French Coppers so maybe it’s normal but this chick right here has the longest legs I have ever seen! They are as long as my Index finger and I have started calling him the Giant because he is Tall. Also noticed he peaks at his toes. Also I have 2 other eggs in the bator, the float test said they r viable. I feel I need to add him som food and water in there until I can place him back with the others in the brooder. Someone tell me what to do and what is this thing!View attachment 2650642View attachment 2650644View attachment 2650646
Goodness sakes that is a long legged cutie! Are the cords feathers or actual fleshy cords?

Back
Top Bottom