2 day old chick with wry neck

RIRhatcher

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2017
I have a 2 day old RIR chick. It seems to have been born with wry neck? It's head is bent back to the right over its body. I have started giving vitamin E yesterday, and poly vits today. She seems ok, perky and spry as the other chicks I would hate to loose her. When she sleeps/dozes I notice her head does settle forward a bit but is shaky, but then she startles herself and beak goes back in the air. She eats very little (her crop is never full) and will drink from a syringe without trouble, all I have to do is show it to her she takes the drops of water. I guess my questions are, am I doing all that I can? Does this look/sound correct as wry neck? Or is it neurological and it's a waste? Does anyone have any additional advice? I plan to try for a week, if she still struggles and/or is failing to improve I will have cull her sadly, I don't want her suffering.
[/IMG]

I would also give her selenium which you can find in some raw egg, or get some Poultry Cell or Poultry NutriDrench and give 1 ml daily, since it has selenium. Her type of wry neck is called encephalomalacia or star gazing, and can be a vitamin deficiency in the parent stock or from heredity. Wet chick crumbles and some egg yolk would be good to feed.

DO NOT CULL HER. I had a two-week-old chick with wry neck. The Vitamin E pills take time to take effect, I believe. After one week, my little chick was completely healed. Unless you don't see a change within a week or two, please give the pills some time. I've heard them work in almost every case, except heredity of course.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. She seemed to be improving today - was even keeping upright while shuffling forward, then tonight... she was all contorted again
1f622.png
I really have my fingers crossed she improves!!! I will keep it up, I just hope she doesn't give up!

Yes, vitamin E, thiamine, and selenium are all 3 important in treating wry neck. Let us know how she is getting along in a few days. It is important that she gets plenty to eat and drink as well. Good luck with your chick.

I've been keeping at it trying to make sure she eats/drinks and she is getting the vitamins. She is still sitting in that stargazing posture without much improvement...
1f612.png
I was hoping to see some improvement, even a little tiny bit... Man do I hope it gets better. *sigh*

2 days ago, she could sit at least. She still fistey but now her eyes are closed and looks like this...
. I feel we are going backwards! Literally/Figuratively!

You may have to keep assisting her to drink the vitamin water and eat, by dipping her beak a few times over and over throughout the day. Many people go from days to weeks of treatment before seeing improvement, and there is no guarantee that she will improve, but I certainly hope she does. Some decide to cull if there is no improvement in a couple of weeks because most of us cannot spend that much time tending to a chick that cannot eat and drink without assistance. I have heard some tell of carrying a chick around their necks in a handkerchief, or in their bra, to keep them warm and care for them. That is extreme, but there are some success stories. Good luck with your chick.

New development, and not a god one, she now seems to have air filling her crop. Now what do I do???

Back
Top Bottom