2 Day old Gosling with a twisted neck

Normal one
I see the twist.

This does look like wry neck and most likely this is the issue, lack of vitamin E or thiamine, so I would start giving a b vitamin mix along with vitamin E or a mix that has both.

This could also be a congenital issue, I saw goose on insta, a Sebastopol with scoliosis that caused the spine and neck to twist. It’s rare but still

I have and I would def treat as wry neck along with the vitamins that were mentioned scrambled eggs is the best way to get selenium into them and that is one of the vitamins they need when treating for wry neck. Prick the vit E [400mg]capsule and either slowly squeeze tiny amounts into the goslings bill making sure he is swallowing before doing it again or mix it into the scrambled eggs. Might have 2 meals with it.
B complex has thiamine which is another very important vitamin in treating wry neck.
If you haven't contacted Metzers I would. The quicker you start treatment the better the outcome. The liquid B complex can be found at TSC it will say injectable but we use it orally.
this info will give you dose for age https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/ it is for treating niacin def. But this info gives you dose for the liquid B complex for age of waterfowl.
Thank you. I am trying to get her to eat, but they are both just drinking. I have been mixing food, saveachick, vitamin b, vitamin e and nutritional yeast into the drinking water. Just trying to get vitamins into her.

Attachments

• 16518099673551670010166.jpg
    16518099673551670010166.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 4
She props her head up on her sister because if not, she lays flat.

Attachments

• 1651837385442187313668.jpg
    1651837385442187313668.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 16518374205761488648160.jpg
    16518374205761488648160.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 4
Normal one

Thank you. I am trying to get her to eat, but they are both just drinking. I have been mixing food, saveachick, vitamin b, vitamin e and nutritional yeast into the drinking water. Just trying to get vitamins into her.
If that is her in this picture she doesn't look too bad. Is she able to hold her head up like that all the time?
they should start getting an appetite since they live off the yolk for a few days after hatch.

The one holding her head up really straight, is the healthy one. The one that is scrunched up is twisted. She will hold it up and then get tired and hang it down. Thanks to everyone for your advice. I know she will make it, I just want her as healthy as possible. We have been waiting since November for these girls (Melania and Martha) to be with our 2 ganders (Donald and George)

Back
Top Bottom