2 Day old Gosling with a twisted neck

Feather Mommy

Chirping
Apr 22, 2021
I just received a Roman Tufted Gosling that was shipped from Metzer. It arrived with a twisted neck. Is it too young to have a vitamin deficiency or could it be from its position when growing in egg, or damage from being shipped? Can I do anything or should I wait a couple of days and see if corrects itself?

I don't know much of anything about Goslings. Hopefully someone on the Geese forums will be able to help you better.

If the neck is twisting, then I would treat as Wry Neck.

Can you post a picture?

Goslings can be born with vitamin deficiency if the mother was deficient. Sometimes they have just enough yolk nutrients to get them through incubation but not enough to get them through the first few days.

Also changes in temperature and humidity during incubation can cause developmental issues.

Do you have a b vitamin mix or a multivitamin mic like nutrient-drench?

It is hard to see.

Attachments

• 1651809634902903953020.jpg
    1651809634902903953020.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1651809800469568870216.jpg
    1651809800469568870216.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 7
It is hard to see.
I see the twist.

This does look like wry neck and most likely this is the issue, lack of vitamin E or thiamine, so I would start giving a b vitamin mix along with vitamin E or a mix that has both.

This could also be a congenital issue, I saw goose on insta, a Sebastopol with scoliosis that caused the spine and neck to twist. It’s rare but still possible.

Last edited:
I have and I would def treat as wry neck along with the vitamins that were mentioned scrambled eggs is the best way to get selenium into them and that is one of the vitamins they need when treating for wry neck. Prick the vit E [400mg]capsule and either slowly squeeze tiny amounts into the goslings bill making sure he is swallowing before doing it again or mix it into the scrambled eggs. Might have 2 meals with it.
B complex has thiamine which is another very important vitamin in treating wry neck.
If you haven't contacted Metzers I would. The quicker you start treatment the better the outcome. The liquid B complex can be found at TSC it will say injectable but we use it orally.
this info will give you dose for age https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/ it is for treating niacin def. But this info gives you dose for the liquid B complex for age of waterfowl.

Back
Top Bottom