2 days old I've picked my roos out

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tuesdays chicks, Oct 30, 2010.

1. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    well I hatched these 6 chicks and yes I am guessing that the 2 chicks that always come running to my hand are roos. unless someone tells me all ee chicks are extremely friendly, I have 3 and only 2 come running out when I open up to see them, and literally jump in my hand, I'm not feeding them so there is no incentive except being picked up. my last chicks the only 2 friendly 1's that I had were both roos. the rest peeped and peeped if picked up.

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Let us know it this turns out to be true!

3. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I think my last batch of 4 chicks acted similarly.
    One of them, I think a cockerel, was very curious, quick to come to see me and bolder in general. It would sit in my hand while the others just freaked. It was also leaner and shaped differently than the other 2 RIR chicks (cockerel traits I'm told).
    I didn't keep it, gave a friend 2 of the chicks. I'll keep in touch w/ him to see what it turned out to be.
    Will pass the info along...
    Carrie Lynn

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  4. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    the 2 chicks I have RIR/blue orp mix are the 1s that hide under momma, maybe its because they hatched last, but I'm hoping I have more then 2 pullet lol, I'm going to see if I can get more pics, and go see if I can go create a nest babies can get back into if they get out already had to put 1 back in.

5. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    figured out why black chicks weren't coming out racist momma, they stayed where it was safe, when they came out she pecked at them.

6. deannd

deannd Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Marin County, California
    Bought 20 female sexed ee's and two came running at me as chicks from the get go, and yes they both turned out to be roos. I have always bought sexed chicks, but have my own eggs in the incubator now, and am going to see if the same holds true. Roo chicks are definitely more bold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by