2 dead hens but bodies left intact

jonas

Hatching
10 Years
May 2, 2009
I lost 2 hens with same type of attack. Im thinking its a roving dog but dont know. One was dead in my garage with its hind end chewed just alittle and thats all. The next day my leghorn was found the same way in the backyard. Both were killed between noon and 5 pm. I have a fenced in pen to keep the hens from pooping on my deck while Im away but the two dead ones fly over the pen fence and thats how they got caught. My 2 other hens that dont fly were fine inside the pen right next to the carnage. If it were a fox or skunk they could easily get into the pen to take care of the rest of the flock. I lock them up at night so everything is fine that way. So back to the topic, is this type of kill fit any predator.

Very sad - so sorry for these birds - a gruesome way to die.
In all likelihood a dog but it would help to know where on the planet you are located as that will define the predator 'list'.
After the first one got murdered it's a shame the other was not kept from getting out - deer netting or something.
The dog (or whomever) will be back - I hope you can ID it and confront the dog's people, if it is not a stray.
JJ

Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm thinking a short tailed weasel, they like to kill for the sport of it. A neighbor of mine lost around 50 pheasants in one night, nothing eaten just killed. I have a cat that's part Manx. Short tailed, Black and white, taller in the hind quarters than the front and his front are bow legged. He walks like a bull dog. Best cat I've ever let own me. He's my boy. Anyway he has killed 3 weasels and only got bit once. The vet couldn't believe it. His name is Bob. What did you expect Stubby? I agree if you have anymore that fly put a net over the top.

Back
Top Bottom