2 Dead Rhode Island Whites!!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cowboyclayt, Mar 5, 2017.

1. I had a couple chicks and 5 of them died of coccidiosis. The others seem to be doing fine. Cackle Hatchery sent me 6 replacements and as far as i could tell they looked fine this morning. I just went out and checked on them and 2 of them are dead!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The temp is fine and they had food and water. Any ideas what happened? I have no idea what it could be!!! I dont want the others to die!! What should i put in their water?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Where do you have them, and what is the setup? What temperature is the room and what temperature is your heat lamp with a thermometer on the floor under the lamp? How big is the brooder and how many chicks? Are you dipping their beaks into water with SaveAChick electrolyte/vitamin in it? Baby chicks don't die of coccidiosis until they are a few weeks old and have been exposed to their droppings or dirt. They can die of shipping stress which may cause chilling, dehydration, or injury due to rough handling. Check to make sure they don't have pasty butt, and clean it off if there every day. When they show signs of stress, about all you can do is dip their beaks into electrolyte water (or sugar water) and let them drink, and repeat that several times an hour. It helps to show them the chicken crumbles and water when they first arrive.

3. I have them in my garage. It is around 60*+ in the garage. Directly underneath the heat lamp is 95*. They are 3 days old. There were 6 chicks now there are 4 and one is probably about to die!!! They are in a large metal dog crate. Plenty of room! I am using the nipple watering system. I am using the electrolytes.

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Are they drinking from the nipple?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would star dipping their beaks into a bowl of water. They may not be using the nipple waterers yet since they are young. Do you have a quart waterer to use? I think a 60 degree room might be cold for them this young unless you have the dog crate shielded from drafts with blankets or similar. Just make sure that air circulates overhead well. Keep a cooler spot to escape feom the 95 degree heat spot. I tend to baby mine for the first 2 weeks in my house just so I can keep a close eye on them. That's not for everyone, I know. Shipping stress could be the cause of problems, or the cool room air or dehydration.

6. Three of them are, the other one is not because he can't even stand up. I am giving him water through a dropper.

7. Yes, they are shielded from drafts and they can easily cool off in a 65* area. Thanks for all the help everyone!:)

8. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    I agree on pasty butt, make sure they don't have clogged up dry poop in their butt. Also make sure 90-95* on the floor level of the chicks and have cooler area to roam around when they wanted to. Very important that they're all hydrated, I've never lost baby chicks in 4 yrs (knock on wood), I add new chicks every year. I baby them for 1-2 wks in our laundry room in a 3x3 cardboard box or a Rubbermaid brooder, Then move them to our 50*F garage w/ 85* F lamp on their level, dropping it 5*F every wk there after before I move them to the coop. Good Luck!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  9. All my chicks were fine 1 hour ago. Just went out and checked on them and 1 of them was dead!!!! I dont know what the problem would be! Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be? The temp is 98* and there are electrolytes in the water. Any help is appreciated!

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is too warm. 90-95 is good for chicks up to a week old, and should be decreased by 5 degrees each week. How far away is the heat lamp from them? It shouldn't be closer than 24 inches, and raising it will lower the temperature. I can't say why you are having such bad luck with the chicks. I would take a look at your setup and read a few of the "care of baby chicks" articles up in the Learning Center on this page. Do you have different ages together in your brooder because of the first dead chicks, and how far apart are they? I'm so sorry that this is going on. I would feed each chick the electrolytes by dipping their beaks. Have they been away from the lamp or huddling under it?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by