2 different chickens -egg bound within weeks

Beard4

Songster
Apr 12, 2020
North Central Alabama
I have had 2 of my 7 chickens egg bound in the past few weeks..

1 is back with the girls (she had a horrible prolapse with hers)

1- I just treated tonight: gave her an epsom salt bath during the bath she laid one hardshell and one egg yolk.. she passed partial skin and I slowly and gently pulled it out.. however, she is still acting like she needs to lay..

next steps for one acting funny?
What can cause this?
Why is it happening frequently?

What breed are your birds, and how old are they. Reproductive tract issues are not uncommon in aging high production birds.

I have had 2 of my 7 chickens egg bound in the past few weeks..

1 is back with the girls (she had a horrible prolapse with hers)

1- I just treated tonight: gave her an epsom salt bath during the bath she laid one hardshell and one egg yolk.. she passed partial skin and I slowly and gently pulled it out.. however, she is still acting like she needs to lay..

next steps for one acting funny?
What can cause this?
Why is it happening frequently?
Like @sourland stated, productive breeds tend to have reproductive issues and need to be fed with special care taking their needs into consideration: more calcium+Vit D3+Vit K and less protein to prevent soft eggshells and too big eggs.

First is a golden comet (Nugget).. in her early days 5-6 month she seemed to lay double yokes constantly with a soft shell here and there same day but for the past month (9 months old now) they have been normal size

Second is a RIR (hence her name, Big Red) she is not a daily layer and is 10 months . I am worried about her she usually lays pale light brown eggs and the one she expelled was really dark brown ( Golden Comet egg color) and the the soft shell was completely broken, I had to pull out the soft shell gently. Normal size egg for the hard shell.

1. She did have a big watery poop after a second epsom salt bath. Earlier it was very limited and water (yellow or white tint) which is why I gave her a bath.
2. Her abdomen seemed fine.. she looked overweight being puffed up but as I gave her a soak. I felt her abdomen and could feel her bones from breast to abdomen

The have 16% layer feed (in a homemade feeder), they only get a cup of cracked corn after free ranging to make it easier to lure back to the coop, they free range almost 1-2 hours a day sometimes more (rarely less than an hour), the also have baked egg shells and oyster shells offered in the coop separately

What breed are your birds, and how old are they. Reproductive tract issues are not uncommon in aging high production birds.

Last edited:
Update: on my RIR (the one that laid two eggs in 10 mins while having an epsom salt bath Dec 26th). She is acting normal again, as in eating and drinking and free ranging but she still has yellow clear poop with no other egg in 2 days, her vent pulsates most of the time also.

Should I give her another epsom salt bath?

Back
Top Bottom