2 drakes, 1 duck-- do I have a problem?

This is my problem as well. I had to separate my 1 1/2 yr. old Pekin drakes about 6 mos. ago due to them constantly fighting, even though we expanded their pen and let them roam the yard when watched. In the yard, they do not constantly fight, but will on occasion. And it is bad, feathers flying, attempted drowning, testosterone-driven ugly fighting (and they were raised together!).

Now we have 4 month old ducks, with one (Swedish Blue), certainly a female and I fear the other (Khaki Campbell), is a male.

We love all of these ducks, so no getting rid of anyone.
barnie.gif

We are building a LARGE aviary for these guys, and had hoped that everyone could get along given the space. But I am concerned with
1. One female with three drakes
2. The aggressive Pekins not getting along still, even though it is a huge area.
3. Having to quarter the aviary so we have ducks in separate areas. (wouldn't like it, but would do it)

So are we looking at purchasing definite females to even things out? Or let everyone get to know one another through fencing, introduce them and see what happens?
hu.gif

If we must purchase... I understand that it is 3 females to 2 males... correct? And for my silly question... if that is the case, will I still have to separate them if I do NOT want any fertilized eggs. I only wish to have eggs we can eat and give to friends to eat.

My preference is to just keep the Pekins separate, and possibly have the two young ones in the same area, even though it would be 1 Drake, 1 Duck.

Why can't they all just get along?
wink.png

*Wifezilla? What say you?

Would love some direction, as we are going to get the little ones outside within the month.

Back
Top Bottom