2 drakes and 1 duck

Henrietta02

Chirping
Apr 16, 2018
My Peking is definately a drake because he has that quiet raspy sound. The little black duck is still peeping and has really colorful plumage (black, green, blue) so I'm assuming it's a he. The little brown duck is honking, so it's a girl. I've read a lot of disturbing things about males ducks, and I've come to the conclusion that 2 males and 1 female won't work. The two little ducks are closer and age and therefore closer, so I can't seperate them. My neighbor has already said he will take my ducks. So I'm thinking I'd give my neighor the two little ducks and keep the Peking. Can my Peking live alone with my chickens or will he try to mate with them and possibly kill them? Keeping my peking alone is cruel, i know, because ducks are social animals. I could try to find a home for my peking so he has (girl) friends.
I'm really sad because I really like my Peking duck and feel like a bad person for giving him away. And getting more ducks is not an option. What should I do?

I had a drake named Chuck. He was named Chuck because he was duck that was raised with chickens and never bonded with the ducks, ch(chicken), uck(duck) = Chuck. Anyway, he lived for many years amongst a flock of chickens and had a wonderful life and was never a problem with the chicken hens, so I think it really depends on the drake and your flock as to whether or not it will work.

This was his favorite hen. I called her Bride of Chucky
crop_chucky_1_dscn5365-large-jpg.1498707

My Peking is definately a drake because he has that quiet raspy sound. The little black duck is still peeping and has really colorful plumage (black, green, blue) so I'm assuming it's a he. The little brown duck is honking, so it's a girl. I've read a lot of disturbing things about males ducks, and I've come to the conclusion that 2 males and 1 female won't work. The two little ducks are closer and age and therefore closer, so I can't seperate them. My neighbor has already said he will take my ducks. So I'm thinking I'd give my neighor the two little ducks and keep the Peking. Can my Peking live alone with my chickens or will he try to mate with them and possibly kill them? Keeping my peking alone is cruel, i know, because ducks are social animals. I could try to find a home for my peking so he has (girl) friends.
I'm really sad because I really like my Peking duck and feel like a bad person for giving him away. And getting more ducks is not an option. What should I do?
Drakes shouldn't live with chickens.
Drakes can seriously injure a hen if he tries to mount them.
I don't know if just because a duck has shades of green means it's a drake or not. I have three drakes and only one has green sheen but all three have the curly tail going on.
I also wouldn't keep a duck without another duck friend. That is not fair to the duck as they do best with their own kind.. Ducks.

Back
Top Bottom