2 ducklings with weak leg

Yolk was all absorbed. Didn't noticed swelling or heating in any of them. Legs are curled up to the body when they are wiggling. But they are able to move them as well, they are just not as much strong as the other legs. The newest one just hatched about 2-3 hours ago (dark) , yellow one hatched at 9pm yesterday. They are still on incubator as got another duckling in brooder.
For the lone duckling in the brooder, a little mirror could help with loneliness until his friends can join him!

1. For the lone duckling in the brooder, a little mirror could help with loneliness until his friends can join him!
    Thanks! I'm trying to spend with her as much time as possible but will definitely get her a mirror too. I found few days old indian runners abouts 2 hours drive from me so I might go get one just in case as don't want our wee baby to be alone all the time

Can they straighten both legs out? It could be they just need time being they had dificult hatches. If you can get some Nutri drench for poultry that can be given tiny drops right along the bill .

That's how the legs looks like. Although she is kicking both of them when lying. Do you think it is something what can just fix itself in a time? They aren't able to walk or stand so I need to start handfeed them soon as well

That's how the legs looks like. Although she is kicking both of them when lying. Do you think it is something what can just fix itself in a time? They aren't able to walk or stand so I need to start handfeed them soon as well
Sorry can't attach any file for some reason

Can they straighten both legs out? It could be they just need time being they had dificult hatches. If you can get some Nutri drench for poultry that can be given tiny drops right along the bill .
Yes they can straight them and also can use them to push. Just not too well. And when trying to stand that weak leg is going under body so they fell on one side

They can go without food for at least 2 days since both absorbed their yolk. I'd def try and get some poultry vitamins if possible.

Thats why I was asking if they can stretch both legs out full length when laying down or can you straighten both of their legs out? That can rule out slipped tendon.

They can go without food for at least 2 days since both absorbed their yolk. I'd def try and get some poultry vitamins if possible.

Thats why I was asking if they can stretch both legs out full length when laying down or can you straighten both of their legs out? That can rule out slipped tendon.
Yes they definitely are stretching that weak leg with no problem also I stretched it and bend it and there was no pain reaction so don't think it could be that. I will give them time, there are still full of life just having rough begging.

Yes they definitely are stretching that weak leg with no problem also I stretched it and bend it and there was no pain reaction so don't think it could be that. I will give them time, there are still full of life just having rough begging.
Sometimes when squished in the egg it takes a bit for them to get going
I agree with @Miss Lydia in getting vitamins into them and let them rest
Try to use non slippery things under them when they do get going as this will help them to keep legs under them
I use the non slip shelves liners both in my incubator ( I find those plastic bottoms that are the bator floor way to slippery ) I also use them in my brooder for the first few days so babies have more grip

Back
Top Bottom